cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Model annotations - issue telling a 6 from a 9

zmiller
14-Alexandrite

Model annotations - issue telling a 6 from a 9

Has anyone else ran into the problem of telling a 6 from a 9 in an annotated model?   See the image below.  If so what are you doing about it?

This has come up a few times with basic dimensions (our rule is any annotation dimension should have a tolerance unless it's basic so when you have a tolerance that helps correctly orient the text).  This is only a human readability issue but with MBD there are still plenty of times a human needs to view the annotated model.  Obviously measuring the model will answer the question.

7 REPLIES 7

You forgot to add the image :).

zmiller
14-Alexandrite
(To:AmitDeshpande)

6or9.jpg

Here is the image, it seemed like it was attached to the orginal post before I hit "post" but obviously something happened.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:zmiller)

It's kind of a lame workaround, but you could always click on the dimension, go into Dimension Text, and make the prefix and suffix underline (_) characters. This would at least give a distinct indication of the number's orientation.

zmiller
14-Alexandrite
(To:KenFarley)

@KenFarley 

That's exactly what we are doing currently.  We where curious to see if anyone else had the same, or different idea(s).  Thanks!

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

I was hoping that the font would be modifiable for a dimension, so you could turn on underlining, but regrettably, it's not. That would be such a simple solution. Unless there's some trick someone else has for this stuff, like the special characters you can use to put text in a box, i.e. @[This goes in the box@].

RyanG
14-Alexandrite

Your example shows Basic Dimensions.  Just stop using them, and problem solved 😁!  Seriously though, you could add at least 1 decimal place (ie. "6.0" or "9.0") as a workaround.  I know that technically violates ASME standards for trailing zeros but I really do not believe it would cause any significant issues.

zmiller
14-Alexandrite
(To:RyanG)

@RyanG  I hear you on the basic dimensions, some are stuck on still wanting to see them.  I think adding 1 decimal place could be a solution.  It seems like that and underlining the text are the two best options.

Top Tags