cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Model dimension will not show on drawing.

mdebower
18-Opal

Model dimension will not show on drawing.

Hey there,

I ran across this today, I have a model with a sketch. The sketch has dimensions in it. When I try to show those dimensions on my drawing view, all the dimensions EXCEPT one appear. The dimension that wont show in drawing is not erased or deleted.
I have also tried saving, regenerating, and some other things to get it to appear, but nothing.

Any ideas? Including a screen shot if that helps.

-marc

Trimark Values: Integrity Respect Accountability Innovative Teamwork

[cid:image001.png@01CF855D.F98B9180]

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14

It's shown in a different view.

It's in a different view but was erased (you didn't say which version you're on so this could make a difference).

Try using the find tool in drawing mode.

If not then create a new one in the sketch and delete the old one. Show annotations as usual.
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:mdebower)

I think that you "might" be experiencing a True View issue. Many times the
desired dimension will not show up if you don't have an appropriate view.

Michael P. Locascio

Most of the time, unviewable dimensions I've come across are either already shown or shown then erased, are in a note, or are inappropriate based on the view orientation.

Create a new drawing and a new view; it doesn't need a format and try to show the dimension there. I think there's an option to show dimensions in a trimetric; it must be a drawing option, not a config option as I don't see it in the config options list. This should eliminate already-shown and mis-orientation as problems, plus there's no notes so no interference from them.

If it shows there then you can add the new drawing sheet to the existing drawing and see if the dimension remains. If the dimension doesn't survive the transplant then look to see if it is already shown or is in a note. Maybe the view it's shown in is erased.

If it survives the transplant then you should get a more descriptive message when you try to move it to the view you want it in about orientation problems.

Nothing more frustrating then quiet failure; wouldn't a message like 5 dimensions in feature XYZ were available to Show, 2 already shown in View ABC, 1 not shown due to view orientation mismatch to dimension orientation, 2 dimensions shown in selected view. be helpful?

colin
1-Newbie

List users,

We have some legacy data in Solid Works sldprt files, but no longer have an active Solid Works license, and no one who really knows Solid Works either. I'd like to gain access to some of these files even if only for refference for an up coming project. Do I have any import options that does not involve getting a Solid Works license? Is there any cheap/free 3rd party ap that can convert sldprt to igs or stp?

Thanks
Chris O

If you're using Creo 2, you can open SolidWorks files - it comes in as an import feature - no feature data, but it is as good as a STP...

-Nate

Just checked - WF5 will also open native SWX parts, but not WF4.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I’m on Creo 2. I don't see the option for opening Solidworks Files. I do get an option for opening Inventor files but I have a (mostly unused) license for inventor on my machine.

I think you have to have SolidWorks installed to have the optoin to open SolidWorks files directlly.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I checked with another user here who does have SolidWorks installed and he has the option for opening Solidworks files directly.

I think if you have Solidworks Explorer I think its called you can do this as well.

We're currently able to do this without a Solidworks license.

We're on M090. Not sure if that matters.

We can't use the 64-bit version of Creo to open .sldprt or .sldasm files. We had to change our startup script and check both the 32-bit and 64-bit install, and create a .PSF for the 32-bit to allow users the option of a running a 32-bit Creo. The biggest drawback is that it simply will not connect to WindchillPDMLink (or at least as far as I know).

David Haigh informed me of the trick on a thread back on 11/8/2013.
colin
1-Newbie

We're runing Creo 1, the start script labeled Creo m050 I'm not sure that is still correct.

Chris

---- Nathan Rollins <-> wrote:
> If you're using Creo 2, you can open SolidWorks files - it comes in as an import feature - no feature data, but it is as good as a STP...
>
> -Nate
>

I've done this here through several versions of Pro. Latest has been Creo 2.0 (various builds).

You need to have either a full version of SolidWorks installed on your machine, or the free SolidWorks Explorer http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm

The downside is the free SWE is only 32-bit. Therefore, as mentioned elsewhere here, you have to configure your ProE startup to run the 32-bit version of Pro when you are going to import the SW parts.

Once imported, you can open the model in a 64-bit install. You'll see the previouslyimported geometry, but it won't be linked to the SW files.

egifford
4-Participant

I had to mess with this a couple of months ago. The guys in our CNC programming office could directly open Solidworks files in 64 bit Creo 2, but nobody in the engineering office could. I installed the previously described tools from Dassault on a designers PC and it did nothing. As just mentioned, it's because only the 32 bit version is available asa free download and the connectivity won't work if you're running 64 bit Creo. What I ended up finding was the CNC guys are running 64 bit Mastercam, which can directly open Solidworks files. The Mastercam install includes a DLL file that provides this capability. If I copied the SwDocumentMgr.dll file from the Mastercam install, placed it on a PC running 64 bit Creo and registered the DLL file using the regsvr command- presto, the install of 64 bit Creo can directly open Solidworks files.

Erik

Top Tags