cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Moving a Line, Sketch, etc., within a Drawing

JADesignKilla
1-Newbie

Moving a Line, Sketch, etc., within a Drawing

In the software program that I normally use, Rhino 3D, if I want to move a line or other object in my working space, I can just drag it from whatever point it resides and "snap it" to a next point. I don't know how to perform this same task in Creo Elements! It's so simple a task, but I don't know how to do it. I need to move a line from one location to a new location. How do I do that?? I have provided a screen shot of the particular drawing below. I want to move the line labeled 1 to the sketched shape labeled 2.Thanks in advance for your help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

i was a heavy Rhino user for years, you have to pretty much throw everything you are used to doing in Rhino and put it in storage, even the. maybe the best way to describe the transistion is, "creo = creating datums, datums, datums, and more datums."

in essence that is what all modeling software does, but most do the creation on the fly and in the background. in rhino you may have to "move" the c-plane to draw a curve somewhere or use a surface, then you can move it using osnaps without needing the c-plane in that location anymore. then you have 3pt Orient, etc. to copy/move ....... here you have to "create" the c-plane/datum plane then draw the curve. If you want to move the curve, you move the datums.

it's because of this that Rhino has limited "history" and why they created Grasshopper until they rework the guts.I haven't used Rhino since beta 5 went gold. From what I understood at that time is they didn't want to follow the "feature tree" paradigm so Grasshopper was a seed for future integration. I don't think David or McNeel had any idea what Grasshopper has become.

Anyway, I'll get off my "rhino".

tl;dr

no easy way, move the datum the sketch is on

Oh man! Put everything from Rhino in storage !! So I can't just drag a line that I've drawn from anywhere to snap to a point on another object that I've drawn? How do I find out what datum plane the sketch is on? Did you see the reference pic that I provided?

Creo Parametric is a procedural modeler. It is intended to record the steps you take to make a model.

You may be able to redefine the part of the procedure that creates the sketch to start somewhere else. Select the geometry and click the right-hand mouse button and see if redefine is on the list; then select the sketch plane you want the geometry to appear on.

Thanks for the info man!

Top Tags