cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Multi-line parameter hack - what is the trick???

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Multi-line parameter hack - what is the trick???

I distinctly remember someone sharing a hack that would allow multi-line text to be passed via a parameter into a note or table cell.  I've scoured the community and I can't find it, but I think that may be more a function of how the search tool works here.  It was something along the lines of creating a multi-line note, referencing the note with a parameter, and then using that parameter on the drawing.  Does anyone remember the exact steps to make this work?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pausob
18-Opal
(To:TomU)

16 REPLIES 16
pausob
18-Opal

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pausob)

Yes, this post here seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't read the picture and it doesn't expand when I click on it.  I'm not understanding how the link between the note parameter and the note itself is configured.

TomU_0-1599052258826.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Could you figure it out from his uploaded test part included in the old thread?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I have the test part and drawing open, but I don't see how the link is created.  I'm wondering if this has something to do with PTC removing the separate pop up dialog for creating notes.  I'm wondering if there is some internal note ID that used to be displayed on that dialog that isn't present anymore...

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

You can still right click on the the note - properties - to get the "pop-up" note. I have to do this in order to make "box" notes. i.e. Note #3 has a box around the three and therefor in the pop-up it is @[3@]. and the same with the leader pointing to what it needs to point to.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

??  Where?

TomU_0-1599056885013.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I was clicking on the note itself in the drawing not in the tree. Using Creo 4, so not sure if it has changed in Creo 6.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yes, the separate dialog for notes has been removed.  Now they are part of the ribbon and the note ID is apparently no longer exposed (except in the tree column.)

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r6.0/usascii/#page/whats_new_pma%2Fmbddetail-modernized_notes_mbd.html%23

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

So is there a way to put box around a portion of the text? Or is that gone too?

Dale_Rosema_0-1599059843685.png

Dale_Rosema_1-1599059870300.png

pausob
18-Opal

For sake of completeness, the help article mentions adding this config.pro option

hide_pre_creo6_note_properties no

I don't have Creo 6.0, so i can't tell whether the old note-properties dialog box, enabled by the above, allows you to see the note's ID.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pausob)

Yes, it does.

TomU_0-1599166346220.png

GaryLinscheid
15-Moonstone

Maybe you need to click on convert to update the note to latest software changes?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:GaryLinscheid)

'Convert' didn't do anything obvious except get rid of the little circle with the arrow in the note name.

Here's what the help docs say about 'Covert':

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r6.0/usascii/index.html#page/model-based_definition/to_convert_legacy_notes.html

Looks like the image itself is bigger, it's just the forum that doesn't allow to enlarge it "in post". Here you have the link to the original image in much better quality: https://community.ptc.com/legacyfs/online/107370_note_parameter_hacks.png
(still just from the image I can't figure out how to link the two, would probably need to test it personally).
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:LukaszMazur)

Yes, that definitely helps.  This is the part I was looking for:

TomU_0-1599056713110.png

I'm just not sure where that information is displayed in Creo 6:

TomU_1-1599056777786.png

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Looks like I can add a tree column for 'Note ID'.  Not sure if there is any other way...

TomU_0-1599057169796.png

Top Tags