Good morning all, (depending on your time zone)
This is my first time posting on these forums; I'm usually keep myself to car forums, so bear with me.
I'm a mechanical designer and our office has been using Creo 1.0 for the past 6 months; we've switched from Pro-Engineer WF4 which we had been using since I joined the company.
A common problem I'm facing is with my BOM balloons. When I'm working on large assemblies where many bolts, washers and nuts have to be installed on various mating parts, I'm forced to create as many views as required to make the installation clear. This means I split my balloon quantities (I use quantity split balloons) between views. I then merge my balloons for washers, nuts and bolts so that only one of them has a leader. (to clean up the view and not have a ton of leaders pointing at the same component)
Then the unthinkable happens. I leave the page to go to another page, to work on an unrelated view of the assembly. Upon my return the initial page, some of my balloons have vanished! (*gasp*) But how! I...I couldn't have erased them, I was somewhere else! But where have they gone!? Under the sofa? Nope. Under the pickle jar? Nope. Oh, let's have a look in the Annotations sub-tab of the view under the Drawing Tree. Oh, here they are! They're erased! Let me unerase them! Come my children, return to your home! And so now they're back, merged as they were to their assembled components. I decide to save and close my drawing.
The next day, I return to the drawing to see how my balloons are doing. *GASP* Others have vanished!! And not necessarily the same ones! Are you not happy where you are??
Anyway, so that's my problem. I'm not sure if I should consult a psychiatrist or the members of a PTC forum. All I know is I'm not the only one in the office to have a bad case of EBS (erased balloon syndrome), but there are other designers who have never ever been confronted with the problem and work on similarly large assemblies. So I'm wondering if it's not something I'm doing wrong, or if EBS is a common problem with Creo 1.0 and that 2.0 solved this. I'm tired of looking underneath the pickle jar to try to find my balloons every time I'm ready to check in my drawing.
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place. People often get blasted when doing this in the car forums.
You have posted this question in the correct area. However, if you have maintenance, creating a case for this issue may be a more effective avenue toward your resolution.
Does this occur with more than one drawing or is there just one drawing in particular? Is it the same balloons every time that are being erased?
Don't know how I missed this post but I have to ask: what is the logic to staying with Creo 1.0? Creo 2.0 is a major bug fix for 1.0. Just friendly advice here.
Otherwsie, yes, Clint's suggestion is warranted if you can either capture the issue on tape (video capture) or a way to duplicate the problem reliably for the CS techs.
I am guessing your autoupdate drawings config option is turned off? Have you tried to update the views when this happens?
I am facing similar problems from time to time, when things like hatchings, etc. dissapear from the drawing. This happens everytime I switch from one sheet to another, but these things don't get erased, or hidden, everything reappears when I update the drawings sheets.
I am facing the same issue in Creo 2.0 M150. If you do ballooning by view it doesn't happen. But if its by components then it does.
Don't know why this is happening. Not able to figure it out!
I am also suffering from EBS (erased balloon syndrome). The assembly that I'm working on is not very large.
Is there a solution?
James & Brian,
Have you tried setting the drawing option update_drawing to all? In the Creo 2.0 drawing go to File > Prepare > Drawing Properties. Then in the Drawing Properties window select change for Detail Options.
For the Option type update_drawing and set the Value to all > OK. Then click on the Review tab and click on Update Draft, Update Sheets, etc.
If this isn't working, and if you have a valid SCN, please open a case with Tech Support for further investigation. You can open a case here.
That option type (update_drawing) wasn't in my list but I was able to add it and set the value to "all."
After I did that, it seems that my EBS has been cured. If the problem recurs, I will open a technical support inquiry.
Yes, the option is a hidden option and will not be visible even after is is applied. Also, if you have a SCN, it might be beneficial to open a case so that TS can track down exactly which update_drawing value resolved the issue. Using the all option, may have applied other fixes, that you didn't require.
To clarify, it's a little misleading to refer to update_drawing (and a few other similar ones) as options, as it implies you can set it, then set it back. The term I like best is 'detail setup command'. It's an instruction you are giving to the drawing, to please update to a particular bug fix, or a set of them, or all of them. In particular, 'update_drawing all' is not reversible, so you may wish to save your drawing before, and compare it after, to be sure that all changes are as desired (or to update to them).