cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Named Views

ptc-1375004
4-Participant

Named Views

Two questions:

1) When selecting an existing, Named View in the View Manager, is it possible to examine the specific references & their orientations associated with that viiew? If so, how?

2) Is it possible to capture, save and load those Named View definitions into another model?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Martin,

I guess that answer to both of your questions is NO. But I am not 100% sure...

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Sounds like a great idea to be able to copy view properties verbatim to another view like you do with text. Unfortunately, views are highly dependent on many factors of which few are actually saved in any way.

I think the closest you can come is the view orientation if you orient them and save them in your model. Then at least you have that set. From there, you can set a few of your default view properties in the detail configs.

All in all, setting up and changing view properties is fairly straight forward. The more you manage in the model the easier drawing views become. Things like sections and exploded views and custom orientations, even limiting visible components are much better handled in the model.

The rationale for my question 1 is: for a Named View, it would be handy to "see" the specific references for which a particular view was defined which is useful for all kinds of reasons. Similarly, for question 2: When constructing families of parts (as a for current project), having consistent Named Views across each member of the entire family is useful and, in fact, necessary for consistency in the "view layouts" provided by utilizing Drawing Templates.

Thus, at the very least, being able to see the references defined for a given Named View becomes important. It's a shame that when a Named View is redefined, that the currently-defined references aren't automatically displayed as what happens when reviewing the definitions of many other model features OR BETTER, that there is an additional drop-down choice in the View Manager such as "display references" where the reference definitions are displayed.

So, what's the best mechanism to bring this to PTC's attention for a future feature?

I see... I was thinking drawing views. I have often dealt with the issue of not being able to copy model views from one part to the next. I have resorted to having them defined in template part and assembly files.

What I have done in the past is have a "view cube"... where I can set all the views consistently including true isometric views. Problem is, when you delete the cube, you get errors about missing references. The way around this I found is to name the view using geometric references "TMP". When you set the view to temp, I then save the view to "ISO1" (for example) and delete the view named TMP. Now when I set the view to ISO1, I don't get view errors. It is indeed a lot of work to do this consistently in several parts. However, when I have the 1st one set, I use the dynamic orientation for the subsequent views. The "cube" also helps me check that I actually made them the same.

The only way we can let PTC know of our desires, we create ideas. Only maintenance customers can access the ideas section and can vote on ideas. If your organization has a particularly strong position with PTC, they can get elevated consideration.

Top Tags