cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

New to Creo

bgioan
2-Guest

New to Creo

Hello all,

I have used SolidWorks and AutoCAD extensively prior to me being introduce to Creo. I am working with some existing files and my goal currently is to take the models from them, export as STLs so that I can 3D print them.

Here are a few dilemmas I have run into which I cannot solve with a simple google search and would appreciate the experience users to provide some insight.

First when I open the .drw files which have been previously made some or most of the parts are covered by yellow dimensional writing. I cannot hide this for the life of me and this impedes my view of the object I am attempting to work with. How can I hide these measurements and/or labels?

Second in the files I am using I only see "sheets" where can I extract just the 3D model itself so I can see it and work with it to modify in order to make it easier for 3D printing? Any insight would be very much appreciated! 

Best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:bgioan)

It all depends on how the drawings you opened were created.

If the norm was followed, similar to Solidworks, the master model is "added" to the drawing.

From there, viewports are created to see the model in a certain way.

This should all be familiar to you.

On the left side of the drawing there is a drawing tree and a model tree.

Highlight the model in the model tree and use the right mouse button...

Select "Open".

Now you should see the model that is included in the drawing.

Do note that more than one model can be pulled into the drawing.

You can select different models form the model tree also.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

It all depends on how the drawings you opened were created.

If the norm was followed, similar to Solidworks, the master model is "added" to the drawing.

From there, viewports are created to see the model in a certain way.

This should all be familiar to you.

On the left side of the drawing there is a drawing tree and a model tree.

Highlight the model in the model tree and use the right mouse button...

Select "Open".

Now you should see the model that is included in the drawing.

Do note that more than one model can be pulled into the drawing.

You can select different models form the model tree also.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

If you are looking in the .drw, this is the "sheet" or drawing file. On the left side will be the model tree. You can right click on this to open the part (.prt) or assembly (.asm). From this you can then make .stl files for 3D printing. See if this also solves your other problem.

Thank you both so much, I am quite new to this and it is taking some time to get used to but it is urgent to get these 3D prints made. Also whats the best way to "hide" any labels? I can't seem to find a similar option under the "View"  drop-down menu.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I am running Pro-E WF5.0 so it may be different, but on the top there is an icon to turn off "comments" and "notes". Also you can type turn off labels or hide labels in the box in the top right corner and it should walk you through this.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

In some cases you can "erase" annotation.

Otherwise, you will have to delete them.

If it is simple enough, also consider adding sheets or start a new drawing.

Just use your Solidworks knowledge to make detail drawing views.

Different commands; same function.

If you have datum features (planes, axes, points or coordinate), you can turn them off with the graphics screen menu bar.  Just turn off their visibility.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Are you talking in the model (.prt) or the drawing (.drw)?

The question veered, Dale 🙂

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I just wasn't sure if he was talking about 3D annotations in the model or actual notes in the prints that he wanted to get rid of.

It's not veering so much as complete disconnect. What do drawings have to do with creating an STL file? Even if the part mode is buried in annotations, there is zero effect on STL file creation.

3D printers make excellent 2D templates with minimal thickness 😛

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dschenken)

But if a model has a ton of annotations/planes/axis/coord sys/points/etc and you don't know how to turn them off, it would be infinitely frustrating.

@dschenken wrote:

It's not veering so much as complete disconnect. What do drawings have to do with creating an STL file? Even if the part mode is buried in annotations, there is zero effect on STL file creation.

This is not helpful if anything you are the one veering. 

As mentioned it is frustrating when I cannot see anything of my drawing, assembly or even part due to all of the notations.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

First statement : my goal currently is to take the models from them, export as STLs

You don't need to see the model to do that. You don't need a drawing to do that. Your stated goal has nothing to do with your question.

That's veering.

If you still have a problem to solve, please clarify. My previous thousands of posts should indicate that I am very willing to help, even experienced SolidWorks and AutoCAD users.

You used SolidWorks extensively (which was based on Pro/Engineer and is still basically the same) so you know to look to see a model tree on the side of the screen when a drawing is open. Select a model and then right-click to select Open to get the model to open. Then File/SaveAs. See examples below.

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/resources/tutorials/how-to-prepare-stl-files

http://www.studica.com/blog/how-to-export-stl-files-from-ptc-creo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9UDWXDRbvU

Here is documentation about annotations. http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/model-based_definition%2FAbout_Working_with_Annotation_Features.html%23wwconnect_header

You should also already know about controlling the display of items by layer. If you look at the help page I linked to, you can search for help about using layers. There is a pull-down to limit the results to Fundamentals.

Actually referring to both. For instance I cannot see the drawings at all due to all the notes. And I would like to remove some of the notations in the model view as well. I got it with all of your guys' help! Much appreciated. I am using PTC WF5 as well

Top Tags