Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output All Dimension to a Txt or Excel File

Hi, does anyone know how to export ALL of the dimensions of a part (and their corresponding IDs) to a file (either txt or excel)?
12 REPLIES 12

Saving Dimension Table

Natalie, Hmmm. Never thought of doing this before; would be interested to know how you plan to utilize this output. Anyway, one way you can do this is as follows. Create a template Drawing or Report, and in it create a two column Table long enough for all your dimensions. Enter text in each cell. First column should read "D1", "D2", "D3", etc.; second column should read "&D1", "&D2", "&D3", etc. Second column will automatically fill in the values. Now do a Table/Save Table and choose Table, Text, or CSV. David

RE: Saving Dimension Table

Alternatively/possibly create a family table of the part, then create an instance. For columns, select dimensions and pick on model/or tree then pick dims (you could also add parameters/names/part numbers to). Then within family tables FILE>EDIT WITH EXCELL. Ben Smithson www.edgepd.co.uk

RE: Saving Dimension Table

Thank you David and Ben. I was wondering, is there anyway to automate this? The reason I'm asking is becuase the part I'm working with has ~7000 dimensions. Natalie

Yes, I have done this with VB6.<WF2> I get a little bug with Patterned Groups, haven't debugged code yet. I would think that if you are WF4 you could use its VBA and have a sweet program.
Highlighted

Figured It Out

Thank you everyone for you help. I was just able to figure it out. I decided to post it in case anyone ran into this as well. 1. Go to tools, program, then show design. Then go to edit design. This takes you to a txt file. Save it. 2. Open excel then go to data, import data and follow the wizard. 2.a. When you pick delimiters, make sure you have = sign as a space to allow for the colums to break correctly. 3. Once the data is in the excel, you have a bunch of stuff. To get the filter to work properly, you have to delete all of the blank cells (Edit, Go to, Special, blanks and make sure you pick delete entire row instead of shifting up) 4. Then apply a filter and do a custom one (e.g. equals d* and does not contain datum) and then you have all of the dimensions filtered.
Tags (1)

Dimension List

Natalie, Clever solution. Congratulations! David

RE: Dimension List

Thanks David!

Re: Figured It Out

Hi Natslie,

I tried your option but didn't work.

1. Will your technique work on STEP/IGES files?

2. I need to export selected dimension from drawing to excel.

Thanks

Amit

Re: Figured It Out

Amit,

when you import STEP/IGES file, you will get dumb model containing no dimensions. Therefore you can't use Natalie's procedure - it can be applied on native Creo models.

Maybe you can use Search/Find command.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák