cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

PDMLink Update

joe.kidd
1-Newbie

PDMLink Update

Has anyone gone through a PDMLink build update? We are currently, and we have no access to our database for 2 days. That is how long our VAR is taking to do the upgrade from M050 to M060.

When they told me this I couldn't believe it. This is not a version upgrade, just a build update. All of our users had to export their workspaces to their hard drives and work locally for 2 days. The fun will be on Monday when everyone imports their data back in.

BTW, we had to do this in order for PDMLink to be supported with Creo Parametric.

Does anyone else out there find this unacceptable?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

Joe,

We're just about ready to do the same thing, so your e-mail is
interesting,

We plan on doing 1 days testing on our development server and then 3 day
for the upgrade on the live server, there has been no mention of having to
export workspaces etc so I will check that out with them.

If you find any more "gotcha's" please let us know so I can prepare my
guys

Wonder how long an upgrade to 10 would take 😉

Best Regards

Chris Collinson
CAD Administrator
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:joe.kidd)

PTC has always recommened that ALL workspaces be cleared and deleted before any upgrade.
The workspace export would only be needed iF you do the upgrade during the week.

The upgrade to 10 is dependent on where you are coming from and going to. In my case Oracle based 9.0m050 to SQLServer 10m020 will require 3 steps and a rehost.
Remember that 10 is only supported on 64bit hardware.
first step is to get to 9.1m060 on Oracle.
second step is to convert to SQL Server.
third step is to upgrade to 10 and rehost.
Looking at 3 long weeends.

Ben

I am not particularly happy with 'another migration' if you will for what I think should be a reasonably easy update to go from 9.1 to 10.0. Sure the software is included in maintenance but our VAR wants ~ $25K for the effort to update us. It seems like we are getting the big green one. Had I known this was around the corner, we moved to 9.1 about 1 ½ years ago, I may have waited and skipped over 9.1 and moved straight to 10.0 or 10.1 even. For the small and medium businesses this cost is just about unbearable at times. I have factions yelling about SolidWorks and Inventor, both of which we do have in house unfortunately, and dollars like this just add fuel to their fire.

John M. Scranton
Manager Design Drafting
and Configuration Management
Ultra - USSI
4578 E. Park 30 Dr.
Columbia City, IN 46725-8869
*Voice: 260.248.3576
*Fax; 260.248.3509
[cid:image001.jpg@01CCCC49.38E14CB0]

Hi, John.
I am dealing with the same situation and we are paying about the same. Yeah, we just paid for maintenance. And I had to purchase a server too. I convinced the powers that be... by the UI is much nicer for the casual user, workgroup manager for Solidworks 2011/12 will work and the desktop integration for MS office is supposed to be better. Or at least on the demo it did. I don't think the upgrade is not difficult just time consuming.

Mike Pinkney
CAD Admin/Sr. Mech. Designer
Triple Ring Technologies
39655 Eureka Drive
Newark, CA. 94560-4806

Seriously? $25K? That's almost as much as our entire maintence cost.

Joe,
I did the M050 to M060 update myself on both a development system and our production systems and each were completed overnight in a matter of a few hours. We did not export workspaces or force workspace checkins and have not had any issues. (I had to do this in order to unexpectedly support a new version of Arbortext. As a result I also had to rollout a new build of ProE in the process.)
I'm not sure what your system looks like, but we have a WC server, a MSSQL db server, and a SAN and about 300 users. There are no load balancing servers and no replication sites.

We were trying to plan out our WC 10 upgrade when this update came up and derailed things. I am trying to accomplish the WC10 upgrade in-house, but we will likely use some outside help now that we are behind. The cost could be in the $29k range for cleanup, a development system upgrade, and a production system upgrade (about 1/5th of our maintenance cost).

John

I am shocked to read about the prices and difficulties you mentioned for the upgrade to 10. We will start this today and our consultance has said we will be able to do the upgrade from 9.1 in between two and four days. We´re already use virtual machines for the db-server and also for the application-server (normally) without any problems. So we again did not purchase physical servers. I will keep you posted about our experiences with the upgrade process. But I can tell that we have to pay about 5000€ and no not more.

Rainer

--

Rainer Harter

Fraunhofer-Institut für Physikalische Messtechnik IPM, VID/Systemadministration und IT-Sicherheit

www.ipm.fraunhofer.de

Tristar just did this for our Intralink installation. 1 Day for the main
system and one for the replica.

Completed over a VPN during our holiday shutdown.

Kory Krofft

CAD Administrator

Trimble Navigation Ltd.

5475 Kellenburger Rd.

Dayton, Oh 45424

Ph. 937.245.5356

That is completely unacceptable. I updated PDMLink from M030 to M060 plus updated 3 replica servers all in a day and a half. I did this over a weekend and systems was back online well before the users came back to work the following Monday. As you said, it's just an MOR update and not a full blown upgrade.

Thanks

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, Global SAP Basis
Technical Change Management (TCM)
Deere & Company World Headquarters
400 19th St, Moline, IL 61265
Office: (309) 765-3133
Mobile: (319) 429-5336

OK, so we do have a replicated server in New Zealand, but it still took them 4 days to complete this, including Sat & Sun.

Warning to those who are not aware, the .wf file for Creo gets loaded to the same spot as the Wildfire .wf. If you need to go back to WF you will need to segragate the .wf folder.

I added this line to my startup script. Set PTC_WF_ROOT=C:\PTC\Creo_work\.wf

Good point. In addition to splitting out ROOT and CACHE, I now set a
different ROOT for each version of ProE/Creo...

Top Tags