cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Parametric tables in Combined States for BOM in MBD

kevinb60041
8-Gravel

Parametric tables in Combined States for BOM in MBD

We have a parametric table that pulls the items and qtys in an Assembly and lists them in a table, pulling other parameters to be displayed (such as part number, description, special assembly instructions, ect...), but this only works in a .drw.  Is there a way to insert this table, or make a new one that can be used with Annotations in Combined states?

12 REPLIES 12
ngoutis
6-Contributor
(To:kevinb60041)

I was attempting to do the same thing and was unable to figure it out. Can someone from PTC please confirm whether or not this functionality exists in Creo 4.0? This is a major roadblock in our efforts to move to MBD.

Last month I took a PTC University training class "Intro to Model Based Definition using Creo Parametric 4.0" taught at Boundary Systems in Cleveland, OH.  It was their impression that since the tree is right next to the 3D Model in MBD, that PTC would not add this capability.  I agree that this is a MAJOR Road block to sell Management on MBD with Creo Parametric!

ngoutis
6-Contributor

We recently moved from Creo 3 to Creo 4. I had hoped the switch would bring this functionality, but it did not. I spent some time reviewing the 'What's New' documentation for Creo 5, and it seems that this functionality is still absent. I'm not sure why this is even a challenge to add, considering this capability already exists in Drawings.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:ngoutis)

Since the model is the source of information in MBD, what is the need to generate a text output for what is already in memory?

Their isn't a drawing BOM - it's a repeat region that can create a report of the model contents; but in MBD the model contents are already available.

What function is being added by duplicating the MBD info?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dschenken)

How do you quickly display parameter information for each of the different models?  What about when the entire thing is sent to a 3D pdf?  Seems like BOM tables would still be useful.  PTC has been pretty adamant about not wanting to support them in MBD, regardless of what the customers want.

Since the data in the Tree is displayed in "As Assembled" order, it would make it more organized and help with listing total number of components in the assembly.  Human error would allow for the count of a certain component to be off or even missed! 

ngoutis
6-Contributor
(To:dschenken)

As Tom mentioned, we rely heavily on derivative data, such as 3D PDF's. If I release an assembly drawing for manufacturing, I can't expect my machinist or assembly folks to be fumbling around in my models. I want them to quickly be able to interpret the intent of our design.

Our BOM's will often include material-related parameters, so displaying all of that in the Model Tree view just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not sure that it is a challenge, as you call it.  I am sure that it is just a couple of lines of code (please remember that I am a Mechanical Designer not a Programmer) but they have a set of priorities and this is not high on that list.  PTC Users Group (formally Pro/USER) is being used by PTC as the voice of the customer.  If enough of us requested this functionality, it would raise this function on the priority list.

In addition to that: I need to place a ply table in the MBD which is needed for composite manufacturing process. 

Any update regarding creating tables in MBD ? 

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Hi there,

I have the same issue with Creo 5.0.4.0.

Since solidworks already implemented this feature at least in 2016, I assumed that Creo 5 would have catched up with this three years later.

Sad they didn't.

(source: https://www.engineersrule.com/present-mbd-data-gear-box-assembly/ )

aazkue
11-Garnet
(To:Mat)

There is an IDEA related to what you are asking for:

TABLE WITH REPEAT REGION IN 3D

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/table-with-repeat-region-in-3D/idi-p/491179

This IDEA was created in November 2017 and it is "under consideration", but there is not advance from PTC.

Please vote this IDEA.

Best regards,

Amaia

I tried messing around with this by making a custom symbol that has the form of a table that will pull the data from parameters of a part in an assembly. As off right now I only have figured out how to get it to pull data from the selected part. I made the notes in the symbol point to the same parameters that a BOM table on a 2D drawing.

Top Tags