cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Part Material Colors - Family Table instances using unique colors...

GregFrankland
2-Guest

Part Material Colors - Family Table instances using unique colors...

We have parts that vary only sightly. For instance the thru hole may vary, and the material color for each instance.Currently I am not aware of a good way to show multiple instances of the same generic in an assembly with the unique colors showing. It would be nice to be able to assign the material/color to the Family Table and have each instance have a unique color. I see that I can add appearances to the material definition, but I cannot seem to get the color of the model to assume the appearance defined as part of the material definition.

I am thinking of adding this as an idea, but I wanted to make sure that I haven't been missing something all along...

-Greg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
20 REPLIES 20

I'm not very sure, but isn't it already possible to set the material in a family table?

In general I agree with you: Setting the color in family tables should be possible!

Domenic,

Yeah, I found where I can assign material to the different parts in a family table. I just can't figure out why the appearance that I set to the materials doesn't apply to the models as I retrieve them. Seems like the appearance portion of the material definition is being ignored?

-Greg

I never tried this technique by myself.

Maybe this thread will help you: http://communities.ptc.com/message/167307

Yeah this is what I am trying to set up, although I cannot seem to get the colors to show correctly in an assembly. I am running Wildfire 5.0 M060 and most of the issues that were discussed in here were saying there were issues in WF3 and WF4....Hopefully I will figure this out.

-Greg

Like I said, be aware that it works correctly only after a second regen, at least in WF4. I can't speak to how Creo works in that regard.

For me I can't get it to ever show two instances in different colors. It show both instances in the color of the last material used in assignment. I have tried regenerating the assembly model several times. I can't even seem to get the instances to show up on the screen in the intended colors in seperate windows. Strange....

-Greg

You need to have appearances assigned to the materials in the material library that you want to use. Then you need to make sure that ALL the materials used in your family table have been loaded in the generic part. You need to use the parameter: "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME" as a coulmn in the family table, and then you can pick from a pulldown menu a different material (and thus appearance) in the cell for any instances desired.

Frank,

I have double checked and do have both materials in the generic model. I was able to select from the drop down menu in the family table editor. I had called up the generic and assigned "blue" to the part and both showed as blue in the assembly and when I retrieve the instances individually.

Funny thing is when I verified them, the bottom instance in the family table editor was the "red' part. After the verify, the generic model turned red, and now both parts in the assembly are red. I have regenerated several times, even used model player and rewound to beginning and then hit regenerate features and finish a couple times. Seems like the color is stuck on whatever model was regenerated last.

Sounds like you have had success in this, what version do you run?

-Greg

I haven't done it in a while, but it was WF4. If I remember, all the instances took the color of the last instance assembled. Then I did a regen and they all went to their respective colors.....until I added another instance. It's definately "buggy", but it DID work for me.

Frank,

Thanks for the assistance thus far. Sounds like I am going to just have to play around some to figure out the "bugs"

-Greg

Also, in your config.pro make sure: "mat_assign_appearance" is set to: "yes".

Appears that "yes" is the default and I don't have any entries in the config.pro/ .sup files that contradict that so should be "yes". I went ahead and threw the line into the current session config.pro in my session, and still no magic.....

-Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm running both Creo Elements Pro/5 (WIldfire5) M090 and M120 and this has worked for me recently. I haven't tried since reading your post but I was able to use this technique (material file coloring the part) effectively just a month or so ago.

I'll go back again and see what's up. I do remember having to occasionally double-regen but otherwise it seemed to work correctly. I didn't like having to specify different colors by material but I found a way around that, too.

Let me take a look and get back to you later today.

Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your input!

-Greg

jwagh
17-Peridot
(To:BrianMartin)

Brian,

Did you ever get a chance to figure this out? I'm having the same issues. I assign different colors to different materials and make sure to assign them as default. I change the material in the family table using PTC_Material_Name. All instances update to only one of the colors in the list.

Edit: I have CreoElements/Pro5.0 Date Code: M180

We have requested this functionality from PTC for YEARS! A high percentage of our parts are in multiple colors. The ability to easily (without multiple regens) add surface colors via family table using a parameter would be the ticket. I will follow this discussion. Thanks.

So I guess the latest version of Creo doesn't have this bug fixed yet?

I wouldn't call this a bug. Its an intentional lack of functionalilty. We are on Creo 2.0 M050. Only been on it a couple weeks but I see no new ability to control color via family table.

I would definitely call it a bug in WF 5 because the whole family table will change color depending on which instance color it regenerates last. That is completely unintentional.

Also, regenerating an instance many times doesn't update to the correct color.

Top Tags