cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Pick entities for dimensions without ctrl?

hjwilliams
4-Participant

Pick entities for dimensions without ctrl?

Been a few release since I used Creo last.

I don't remember having to hold control when picking entities for dimensions. You could, but it wasn't mandatory.

Am I mistaken?

6 REPLIES 6

To the best of my knowledge, the only approved method through Creo is "INCH [MM]" or "MM [INCH]".

Anything else will require additional effort.  Meaning, that if this is a limited effort, it could be managed with annotation editing of the dimensions.  For general drawing requirements, I would push back for established conventions.

hjwilliams
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Yes I think it will just have to be manually added as text next to the measurements. Thank you for the response anyway. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:hjwilliams)

That would have to be a custom edit on each dimension.

I did notice that you had 35.00mm. One way to tell the difference between imperial and metric dimensions is the use of leading and training zeros as specified in ASME Y14.5. Imperial dimensions do not use a leading zero on smaller than 1" dimensions (.785, .0625). Metric dimensions do not use training zeros (35, 1.4).

The easiest way might be to always list one unit first (metric/imperial) and then have a general note stating that the dimensions are in metric/imperial order.

Dual dimensioning is deprecated in Y14.5. The reason is that there will be truncation/round off conversion complaints.

For example, 35mm = 1.37795275590551181102 inch.

Saying it is 1.4 inch means a discrepancy of 0.02204724409448818898

It's sensible, and common practise, to place a standard note on an engineering drawing indicating the units used thoughout the drawing.

For example,
"Dimensions are shown in mm units unless otherwise specified".
"Dimensions shown within parentheses provide equivalent values in inches"

No need to add mm or " suffix to every dimension.
hjwilliams
4-Participant
(To:jhaston-3)

Totally agree with you - however this is not a standard drawing but a simplified GA to go on our website and show overall dims in mm/inches to our customers. It's just what we have done on our past drawings (using AutoCAD) and I'm just trying to replicate it to keep consistency. But thanks anyway - it's likely what will be done instead. 

Top Tags