cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 to Solidworks 2011 settings.

mdebower
18-Opal

Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 to Solidworks 2011 settings.

Hey there,

We are trying to export a Pro/E assembly to Solidworks 2011, and are having trouble. We are exporting out of Pro/E using STEP, but when the Solidworks program opens the file, the parts are not in the correct assembled position.

I have searched the knowledge base and read through the options, but nothing is jumping out at me. Any advice on configuration settings to get this to work?

-marc

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I have opened native Mildfire3 parts and assemblies directly in SWX2008. I was pleasantly surprised to see it brought in features and constraints correctly. Why the STEP-file conversion?

Michael C. Martin
Sr. Design Engineer
AGCO

I've tried opening Pro/E files directly into Saladworks before and all I
got was a dumb blob, no part features. I've not investigated assemblies
fully to see if component constraints are imported.

I'd love to know what settings or processes you used to get full part
features.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:mdebower)

Isn't that the add-on "feature works" that does this?

Wildfire 4.0 to SolidWorks 2011 Notes

*****Original Post*****
Hey there,

We are trying to export a Pro/E assembly to Solidworks 2011, and are having trouble. We are exporting out of Pro/E using STEP, but when the Solidworks program opens the file, the parts are not in the correct assembled position.

I have searched the knowledge base and read through the options, but nothing is jumping out at me. Any advice on configuration settings to get this to work?

*****Responses*****

We have had the same problem for years. There is no solution that we have found, other than exporting individual parts and making a new assy in SW.

Jeff Dayman

Marc, did you try just trying to open up the proe file inside of SolidWorks, I just did that yesterday and it worked fine if you select to keep mates when opening file inside of SolidWorks.
Good luck.
Dick

Hi Marc,
There are about half-a-dozen different formats of STEP supported by Pro/E.
Look in Tools->Options, 'Showing:' Current Session, search for step_export_format.
We generally use ap214_cd, but one customer recently has had better results with ap203_is. Try them all until one works!

HTH,
Jonathan

Hi Marc, do you have mixed units? If your assembly is set to inches and you assemble metric assemblies/components you will find them in left field.

HappyTrails
david

Hi Marc,

I'm not familiar with SolidWorks import, but make sure you're importing as an assembly, not a part. Pro/E works the same way - if you import an exported STEP assembly as a part, it will just overlap the parts.

Have you tried importing the STEP back into Pro/E to see if it comes in correctly?

Dan

You might try exporting as a Parasolid file since Solidworks uses Parasolid for it's geometry engine.

Rob Reifsnyder

Hi Marc,

I know when doing this the opposite way I.E. importing a STEP assy into Pro/E, it is important to import into a Pro/E assembly not a part or the same thing happens.
Top Tags