cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Putting a temporary note in a format

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Putting a temporary note in a format

We want to put the note "DO NOT RELEASE" in big letters across a drawing, so that we can send PDFs to people downstream and ensure they don't use drawing fully until we're ready to release it. Then when we release it we'd like to be able to remove the "DO NOT RELEASE" note. I want to do this at the level of the format so all our drawings start out this way. Just putting a note on the format is no good because you can't edit it or remove it when it shows up on the drawing. If put the note in a table it is possible to do this. Because I wanted the text at an angle the lines of the table are in an awkward place; in fact all I really want to see is the text, not the lines of the table. Is it possible to hide the lines of a table? Or is there another way I can automatically put some text in a format that can be changed later?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

You can setup a watermark in the PDF as it is created. We just manually put in the not released note on the drawing.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:eric.mills)

"Eric Mills" wrote:

You can setup a watermark in the PDF as it is created.

I think you can create the table with one cell only inside the format file, size of the table will be the same as size of the format. Border of the cell will overlay the border of the format. Then you can put callout of &release_status parameter into the cell and set its text properties. The last thing is to create release_status parameter inside your models. Good luck. Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

That's a good idea - I will try that. I hadn't thought of making the cell the same size as the sheet....duh. At this stage I won't put a release-status parameter in there, though. We already have a revision parameter which will show up in other parts of the format. When the drawing is first released, or when it is this "do not release" stage, there is no rev number and this stays blank. The "do not release" will only be a temporary thing; the table means we can get rid of it when the drawing is finally released. Thanks for the tip.

Hello, You may want to try a Drawing Template. This would solve the issue you are having. The parameters will remain &parameter_name until this template is used to start a Drawing and then they will show the value. You start a new empty drawing with no format > Application > Template > Add your format > Add your views or whatever you would like, including notes. As far as the table, yes, you can hide the cell boarders. You may need to preselect them and then look under the Table tab. Good luck, Joel

Hello, One way of doing it could be: Create a sketch and use Text. Export as Iges. Open a format - import the sketch - group it. change font and line style. Put in into a layer. Now you can turn on/off the layer. Good Luck
pjg
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:pjg)

I forgot - you can allso scale and rotate the text in the format.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:pjg)

"Peter J. G." wrote:

Hello, One way of doing it could be: Create a sketch and use Text. Export as Iges. Open a format - import the sketch - group it. change font and line style. Put in into a layer. Now you can turn on/off the layer. Good Luck 🙂

Yes, I see what you mean. I used it some years ago in another company with great success. It must then have been a template wee used instead of format.If you group it and make the color dimmed it should work fine and layer should work here.
Top Tags