Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about part relations

Participant

Question about part relations

I have a relation "d1=d0" between 2 features. If I change d1 from 0.1 to -0.1 and regenerate the dependent feature stays the same: i.e. it stays at 0.1. If I click on the feature >Edit, the dimension I changed to -0.1 shows up as 0.1, but if I go into the feature with Edit Definition it still shows as -0.1. I think this must be behind the problem as the relation is at the part level, between two features. How can I stop this from happening?
9 REPLIES 9

RE: Question about part relations

I've just dug up an old email from the PTC/User exploder list... Try $d1 = d0

Thanks, I'll try that. What does the "$" mean in this case?

From the Pro/ENGINEER Fundamentals Help Topics, the "$" character signifies an "absolute" value rather than a "relative" value. It forces the true signed value in the relation. Regards-

But the absolute value of -0.1 is 0.1. I don't want that. I want d0 to change to a negative value if d1 is a negative value. Still, I will make a quick part to test this.

"Grahame Ward" wrote:

But the absolute value of -0.1 is 0.1. I don't want that. I want d0 to change to a negative value if d1 is a negative value. Still, I will make a quick part to test this.

Meaning of "$"

Yes, Grahame, you have analyzed it correctly; $ means preserve the signed value. It is often necessary in generalized relations. Watch out particularly for angular dimensions that need to swing either way from nominal zero.

RE: Meaning of "$"

Sorry for the confusion, I had the terms reversed, the "$" sign forces the "relative" value.

"Grahame Ward" wrote:

"Grahame Ward" wrote: