cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Radial/Diametric Feature Dimension Outside of Drawing View

wbottis
12-Amethyst

Radial/Diametric Feature Dimension Outside of Drawing View

Hello, in CREO 5, I am detailing a relatively small part.  The part contains 2 mounting holes that are located by an arc that is relatively large compared to the size of the part.  When I place a view into the drawing and show this dimension, the dimension is far outside of the drawing view because it references the axis of the large arc.  In other words, the axis is not part of the drawing view boundary.  Consequently, neither is the dimension.  I want to show the dimension, but not consume the entire sheet of the drawing.  I'd like to break the view and bring the axis closer to the part, showing the dimension with a double-arrow.  I think this is perfectly legal and reasonable to do.  Can anyone explain the process to execute this type of detailing?  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

@wbottis wrote:

Hello, in CREO 5, I am detailing a relatively small part.  The part contains 2 mounting holes that are located by an arc that is relatively large compared to the size of the part.  When I place a view into the drawing and show this dimension, the dimension is far outside of the drawing view because it references the axis of the large arc.  In other words, the axis is not part of the drawing view boundary.  Consequently, neither is the dimension.  I want to show the dimension, but not consume the entire sheet of the drawing.  I'd like to break the view and bring the axis closer to the part, showing the dimension with a double-arrow.  I think this is perfectly legal and reasonable to do.  Can anyone explain the process to execute this type of detailing?  Thank you.

Hi,

in drawing create Z-radius dimension.

See http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/detail/To_Insert_a_Z-Type-Radius_Dimension.html 

Martin Hanák

Can this be done with a "shown" dimension as opposed to adding this dimension?  Can this be applied to a bolt circle?

@wbottis wrote:

Can this be done with a "shown" dimension as opposed to adding this dimension? 

• No

Can this be applied to a bolt circle?

• Please try it

Martin Hanák

Can this be done with a "shown" dimension as opposed to adding this dimension? 

• No
  • PTC, I suggest making this an option for shown dimensions.  As you are aware, organizations frown upon using added dimensions and it defeats the purpose of having the model be parametric with the drawing.

Can this be applied to a bolt circle?

• Please try it
  • It does not appear that this can be applied to the bolt circle because hovering over the phantom bolt circle does not highlight.  This doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done.  The selection filters in Creo 5 have proven to be finicky/flaky.
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:wbottis)

I believe you will need to break the view, possibly in two directions.  To do this outside of the solid, you will need a sketch with a line that extend from the solid to the axis.  This sketch line gives you something to select to create the breaks.  You can then hide the sketch.  For the double arrow, after showing the dimension you will need to change the arrow style.  I don't think it is possible to show the radius leader from the broken view axis to the radial line, but you can change the arrow.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:kdirth)

I would say there is "always more to fix" on PTC's end as opposed to "always more to learn" on the user's end.  Creo 7 will be deployed with "new capabilities" while these issues are never addressed.

Top Tags