cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Radius 'virtual sharps' in drawings

ptc-2848120
1-Newbie

Radius 'virtual sharps' in drawings

In a drawing, is there a way to easily add "virtual sharps" to radiuses for dimensioning? See attached for an example of the "virtual sharp" I'm trying to find a way to easily create in a drawing.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can add them by creating draft entities using the Use Edge feature, trimming the entities, and grouping them to the view. Unless there is a specific reason for what you have shown you don't need to add them to a drawing.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

You can add them by creating draft entities using the Use Edge feature, trimming the entities, and grouping them to the view. Unless there is a specific reason for what you have shown you don't need to add them to a drawing.

You can use 2D detail setup option witness_line_intersection yes to display the intersecting witness line.

For this you have to create dimension with intersection option.

how do you do this?

Hi,

1. set drawing option witness_line_intersection  yes
  2. create drawing dimension using intersection of two entities

MH

Martin Hanák

I would also say you want to specify which version the option is for. Not everyone is using WF5 and as far as I know, unless something has been updated, versions earlier than WF5 do not have this option.

You can create an axis in the part using the two surfaces as references, then in the drawing show the axis and either dimension to the axis or use the "Intersect" option using the edges as references.

Sometimes I'll use the axis as mentioned, either as a stand-alone feature or more often as an "axis point" created in sketcher, or sometimes I'll actually even create a datum curve specifically for that.

Thanks for the help!

I use both WF3 and WF5, so both ways are helpful. Thanks again.

Another useful thing to remember about this issue is the following: If the radius in question is part of a Sketch (as opposed to being the result of a Round feature), a sketched point can be placed on the sharp corner before it is filleted. You can dimension to this point within Sketcher; then the dimension will already be in the model so that it can be Shown, as opposed to Created, within the Drawing.

CM10
1-Newbie
(To:DavidButz)

To take David's point a little further, a dimension (driving or otherwise) can use either a sketcher point or axis point as a reference. This is done quite often. Be aware, that an axis point is not available when in sketcher mode in the creation of datum curves, sweeps, blends, VSS's, or revolves.

Top Tags