cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Retaining BOM balloons

sparulekar
14-Alexandrite

Retaining BOM balloons

I need to create 2 sheets. The 1st & 2nd sheet are extremely similar, just that we delete some elements from the views of the 2nd sheet.

For this we copy the 1st sheet and then edit the 2nd sheet.

But this leads to the balloons getting deleted as well.

Is there any way in which we can keep the balloons in the 2nd sheet for the items which are not deleted??

Manually doing it all over again for 2nd sheet takes upto 3-4 hrs.

7 REPLIES 7
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:sparulekar)

How are you copying the 1st sheet?

Have you tried backing up the drawing and then importing it?

Steps:

1. File -> Save as -> Backup

2. Go to folder where you backed up the drawing and rename the drawing (.drw) to a different filename.

3. Layout Tab of the original drawing -> Import drawing / Data

4. Pick the renamed drawing and it should import any and all sheets thus making a copy

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:Chris3)

What action are you doing that is causing all of the balloons to disappear? Can you just use a simplifed rep?

sparulekar
14-Alexandrite

I change the represntation which causes the balloons to disappear.

sparulekar
14-Alexandrite

Yes i have done that as well.

But in the 2nd sheet when i change the representation from a view i get a message which says that if i change the representation the balloons will be deleted as well. How can that be avoided?

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Change you change the rep of the backed up copy before you import it back into the drawing?

Never mind I just tried this and couldn't get it to work.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If the sheet you are copying has the BOM table on it, the balloons will remain but will reference the BOM that was copied with that sheet and if you delete that copied BOM, you lose those balloons.

If the BOM table is on another sheet, you lose the balloons.

sparulekar
14-Alexandrite
(To:StephenW)

Yeah but when i change the represntation of each view i tend to lose all the balloons. Is there any way in which i can retain the balloons?

Top Tags