cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

SHAREPOINT PDM

ptc-593619
1-Newbie

SHAREPOINT PDM

I am looking for a friendly, low cost PDM, can anyone shed any light on
the pros and cons of using "SharePoint" for models and drawings? It
seems to be a suitable document storage system but what about storage of
Cad Data? Anyone out there using it successfully and willing to err....
share?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
lwh
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-593619)

Sharepoint can only store files given to it (and their versions), preferably those created by Microthingy software.

It does not keep any relationship information (e.g. between the drawing and the part), not even whether required files are there, so using it for ProE may lead to some funny effects...

AFAIK only Intralink and Windchill do this properly for ProE aka Creo. Others claim this (e.g. Dassault), but refuse to take any responsibility. Makes You think.

If it's only about storing drawing pdf's, no objections. Otherwise, I would prefer a versioned and regular backup, which at least takes all files.

ProductPoint was the simple CAD Vaulting solution from PTC that was built on Sharepoint. PTC just retired it only after 1 year in the marketplace. I was going to implement ProductPoint when I found out that it was retired and now will be forced to move to Windchill 10.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Top Tags