cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Saving table as CSV without the .# extention

CarrieIves
1-Newbie

Saving table as CSV without the .# extention

I am trying to automate some of our BOM export process. We are placing a BOM table on a drawing and then saving it in CSV format. When it is saved it gets the rather inconvenient .1 (or higher) number added to the file extension. So my file name on the CSV file ends up being partnumber.csv.1. Is there any easy way to force Pro/E to not add the number to the filename? We are currently on Wildfire 4.0 but may move to Creo 2.0 in the not too distant future. We are on Windows 7.

I have an excel spreadsheet with quite a few macros in it. One of them has you select the CSV file you want to insert into the sheet. I have gotten around the problem by having all files shown, but would like to be able to filter it to CSV files.

Asking the users to rename the file would not be easy because Windows 7 hides the file extension by default, so to rename that you have to change the display in the File Explorer window so that you can see the complete file name.

Thanks,

Carrie Ives

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

What follows is 98% snark. Serious answer at the end.

You realize there must be 2, maybe 3, customers that depend on that .csv file having a numeric suffix?

Were PTC to change that, say to partnumber.version#.filetype so the 99.999% of other customers could have a nicer day, then those 2 or 3 customers might complain about the change. Or even were PTC to just drop the version number completely - all heck breaks loose. Worse than the Boston Molasses Flood of 1919, I kid you not.

Why risk inflaming those 2 or 3 satisfied customers? Besides. PTC software probably has 3500 routines that independently strip the numeric suffix from file names (because having a coherent codebase where there would be one would limit the creativity of the developers.) Can you imagine the horror of it all? It would be like shipping a version of Creo 2 (M-cough-080-cough) that for many couldn't save properly when linked to a Windchill session! Never. Going. To. Happen.

Seriously, I'd just run an AutoIT task that waited for .csv.#version files to show up and either strip or move the suffix. It's simple to make one that reads the contents of a particular folder; Google found some discussions in the AutoIT forums about a general purpose version using the Windows WM_FOLDER_CHANGE API. It is very annoying to tell Pro/E to save a CSV file, ask Excel to open a CSV file and not be able to find a .csv file because it is suffixed .1.

Top Tags