cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Show ONLY a single dimension in dual mode

AlessandroFerri
8-Gravel

Show ONLY a single dimension in dual mode

It isn't possible to show ONLY ONE dimension in a drawing in dual fashon (eg. mm [inch]); the dtl option "dual_dimension" acts on all drawing dimensions. Several times I need to show only few dimension in that way.

WORKAROUND:

1. Create a relation in the PART (or ASSEMBLY): <parameter>=D#*<scale factor> (EXAMPLE: PARAM1=D25*25.4)

2. Modify the dimension text to: D# @[<&parameter>@]

but doesn't seem so smart...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

It can be done by changing the dtl option, but it should be able to be done in the dimension properties dialog.

in fact if you change the dtl option "dual_dimensioning" all dimensions are affected ! In most cases I'm interested to this job only for certain dimensions so... I agree with Dan: it should be able to be done in the dimension properties dialog.

I have been using the same workaround!

It is relatively common for us to need a metric sized or threaded hole or other features in a normally English dimensioned drawing.  Often, we may not want "dual" dimensions, we just want to be able to display a particular dimension in a different unit than the rest of the drawing (AND display the unit in the dimension). Yes this CAN be done with the above work-around, but we shouldn't have to.  This needs to be a part of the individual dimension dialog box.  BTW - Solidworks has this capability.

What about doing it at the modeling level? 

I would like to keep the intent in the model too.  It seems strange that I can control the precision and tolerance 'style' individually but I can't control the display in dual mode.  There I times (on very complicated parts) where I send the model to the shop for them to process with there CAM package.  I would like to make sure they recognize the proper tooling.

Top Tags