cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Split Draft

ptc-4767562
1-Newbie

Split Draft

Using Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M210

Is there a way to make a draft like shown on picture ?

If i use front plane as draft hinge for splitting. My sketch diameter d1 changes as d2

I want to keep d1 diameter dimension fixed and draft until up to the front plane and then draft down to the d1.

split_draft.png

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not sure about Creo Elements/Pro 5.0, but in Creo 2.0 you can:

1. Before selecting anything, go to the "SPLIT" tab and select "split by split object"

2. In the Split object box, "Define" to sketch a line that represents your split location

3. On the "References" tab, select the surface(s) you want to draft

4. In the Draft hinges box, select both top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder, using the CTRL key.

5. Set the pull direction.

6. Set the Side options to "Draft sides dependently"

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I think the easiest way to do that would be with a revolve. As you discovered, the draft hinge defines where the size of the drafted surfaces remains the same. I supsect that you're actual model isn't this simple, however.

I can come up with other alternative, but they'd be many more features.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Not sure about Creo Elements/Pro 5.0, but in Creo 2.0 you can:

1. Before selecting anything, go to the "SPLIT" tab and select "split by split object"

2. In the Split object box, "Define" to sketch a line that represents your split location

3. On the "References" tab, select the surface(s) you want to draft

4. In the Draft hinges box, select both top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder, using the CTRL key.

5. Set the pull direction.

6. Set the Side options to "Draft sides dependently"

Hope this helps.

You cannot select more than one draft hinge surface, I checked both WF4 & Creo 2.

You can use your method to draft one end at a time by selecting "draft first [or second, as appropriate] side only" and then drafting the other side in a separate feature. It's going to be hard to get the center to line up, if that's important, unless the cylinder is symmetric about the FRONT plane.

--
LinkedIn

Here are a couple parts that I tried, both Creo 2.0 and WF4.

draft_split.jpg

Well I've been doing molded parts with Proe for over 17 years and I just learned something new.

I initially selected my draft surfaces first. If you do, you cannot select multiple draft hinge planes until you select "Adjust angles to keep tangency" in the "Angles" tab:

Capture.JPG

I went back and looked at your instructions more carefully and tried again, defining my split sketch first and it worked fine. Ironically, it did not require selecting "Adjust angles to keep tangency".

This was WF4.

Neat trick, thanks!

--
LinkedIn

Don't feel bad. One of our designers found this by accident after some "happy clicking".

Makes you wonder how many other helpful tools are hidden in the code that few people know about.

What's frustrating is that if you start with the draft surfaces, as seems to be the expected workflow, it simply isn't possible.

I agree, there are likely many helpful tools buried in there somewhere. Heck, some aspects like IDD and ISDX have interfaces that seem to be designed to prevent you from discovering things.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags