cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Switch Simplified Rep without redoing BOM Balloons on drawing?

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Switch Simplified Rep without redoing BOM Balloons on drawing?

From what I can tell, if I want to change the model representation (using a simplified rep) that is used in a view and a repeat region BOM, one must change them both separately. Either one is changed/switched, the dwg deletes all the attachments and balloons that have been organized to each component, and this is regardless of which one is done first.

Does anyone know how to swap both the view and the Repeat Region Representations so that the balloons and attachments for the remaining components (the ones not excluded by the simp. rep.) are not lost?

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Actually it looks like this may have been a creo4 enhancement as it seems to work!

Redefine a master rep general view and convert it ... - PTC Community

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

In my experience there is no way to do this. When changing reps the tables have to be changed manually. I would love a way to not have to change both, but sadly there isn't a way. Tables reference the view state in which they were created, and cannot be changed to use a different view state. They simply have to be deleted and a new table place when changing view states.

What I would really like to see is the ability to have one table from the master rep, but place the ballons in views that use simplified reps. To my knowledge this is also something that cannot be done.

boy, that is frustrating that it sounds like this cannot be done!

I don't know what is keeping Creo from recognizing that whatever components (and references) are in common should not have their references lost (just like is the functionality for switching between Family table instances).

I couldn't find any product ideas directly related to this, so do you know of any? If not, one of us can create one.

My main objective is to be able to display a lower level sub-assembly (excluding a couple of components) in the top level Assembly. Currently we use Merged components and large scale use of this is not very compatible with PDMLink due to constant regeneration errors...Are their any other ideas/tips on how to efficiently work with Simplified reps, or another method that would work better?

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:LawrenceS)

I'm not sure how you are using merged components but you could try Copy Geometry as an alternative. I haven't used the Merge feature since about ProE release 20. If you use Copy geometry with Publish Geometry then you don't need the original part in the assembly that the geomery is copied from, although it is still perfectly parametric.

As far as the table/ballons is concerned, I don't know a solution. It's infuriating to be sure. If I try to change my view from Master Rep to Default Rep it tells me the balloons will go away, even though the two Reps are the same.

Grahame,

Thanks for the suggestion. From when I have tried Copy/Publish Geometry, it is only based off of surfaces, which are very different to work with? Most of the time for us, surfaces are not as useful as solid geometry. if this is the case for you too, how do you get around this, or have I misunderstood you?

Okay, I am not sure how I missed the Product Idea, but I now stumbled across them looking for something else. If you want improved SImp Rep functionality, please vote for these ideas:

Redefine a master rep general view and convert it in a simplified rep view for a PART drawing

Allow to set individual simplified reps for parent and child views in Creo Parametric

Allow changing the simplified representation in a drawing view of a PART

just tackled this problem, I created a BOM master simplified rep that had the overloaded configurable assembly

Previously we had combined states showing the assembly in various states of manufacturing and the combined states referenced simplified representations of each step

What I did was changed the combined state to reference the overloaded BOM master simp rep instead of the Op seq simp rep, and added a layer view which hides all the components that should not be visible at that Op sequence, this way the BOM balloons all work perfectly

Pettersson
13-Aquamarine

Yeah, this has been a complaint for years. I'm guessing it's going to take forever to get this implemented. Meanwhile, there are a few workarounds. See this thread for some ideas: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Detailing-MBD-MBE/CREO-Drawing-Balloons-with-Different-REP/td-p/644983

I reviewed the workarounds and unfortunately, they are far from ideal and can be time-consuming or error conducive.

@sacquarone ,

• the scenario you said was not covered in the above thread on balloons with different REP, doesn't really cover this thread and wanting to switch to a new simplified rep on the view and table and not wanting to recreate the balloons and correct the positions and attachments.
  • All we want to do is choose a different rep to call out on the drawing (view and table), and only have to update any new stuff that changes and not have to update everything that is the same between the simp. reps.
  • Can you comment if this is being addressed in future additions, especially with regard to updating the way tables work?

For us this is a to go away from using an asm merge feature which PTC has chosen to not be fully compatible with MBD nor Windchill so whatever gains we see on one drawing is multiplied across thousands of drawings if we choose to update away from the painful asm merge feature (Ref. Regeneration errors in Merged Parts/Assemblies? )

Thanks, Lawrence

Actually it looks like this may have been a creo4 enhancement as it seems to work!

Redefine a master rep general view and convert it ... - PTC Community

sacquarone
20-Turquoise

Hello @LawrenceS 

Just answering because you called me in your last message, but you already found the resolution by yourself.

I confirm that Replace View Model is the functionality you have to use in order to achieve this buisness need. As additional information:

1. You'll find an explanation of this functionality in the Quickly Replace the Model of a Drawing View chapter of the What's New Section of Creo Parametric 4.0 Help Center here
  2. You can have a look in below movie of what happens:
  • When this feature IS NOT used at the begining of the movie (reproducing the issue you speak about in this post)
  • When this feature IS used at the end of the movie (producing what you're probably expecting)

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags