cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telescoping Mechanism

Topaz II

Telescoping Mechanism

WF2, M220

I'm wondering if there's a way to build a 3 part telescoping mechanism with Pro|E mechanism connections such that with the outer part fixed, the middle part extends at half the rate of the inner.  Specifically, I'm dealing with a full extension drawer slide with a middle race that moves at half the rate of the inner race.  In a standard dimension driven assembly, I simply apply a relation to the middle race so that it's half the dimension of the outer race.  I'd like to be able to drag the assy and have it operate properly.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works
5 REPLIES 5

Telescoping mechanism

WF2, M220

I have a 3 segment telescoping mechanism where I need the middle cylinder to move at half the rate of the inner.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to grab ether the inner or the middle cylinder and have the other move in proportion.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

RE: Telescoping mechanism

Not an expert on Mechanism, but how about using 2 straight and parallel datum curves with a circle between. Can you set up the curves as "racks" and the circle as the "gear"? IF so, that should provide the motion ration you want.

In Reply to Doug Schaefer:
WF2, M220

I have a 3 segment telescoping mechanism where I need the middle cylinder to move at half the rate of the inner. Ideally, I'd like to be able to grab ether the inner or the middle cylinder and have the other move in proportion.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer

things would be more in order if an axis only part is assembled with pin joint. then the telescopic sections assembled with slider joints and individually linked through rack and pinion connection with user defined ratios.

In Reply to F S:
Not an expert on Mechanism, but how about using 2 straight and parallel datum curves with a circle between. Can you set up the curves as "racks" and the circle as the "gear"? IF so, that should provide the motion ration you want.

WF2, M220

I have a 3 segment telescoping mechanism where I need the middle cylinder to move at half the rate of the inner. Ideally, I'd like to be able to grab ether the inner or the middle cylinder and have the other move in proportion.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer

Like I said, I'm no expert, and have only played with it once or twice (but managed a very complx barrel cam movement) but it looks like I was on the right path from what you mentioned. I really should play with it more...

In Reply to Raja Amer Azim:
things would be more in order if an axis only part is assembled with pin joint. then the telescopic sections assembled with slider joints and individually linked through rack and pinion connection with user defined ratios.

In Reply to F S:

WF2, M220

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer

Re: Telescoping Mechanism

Please see my post about full extension sliders. They could be described as a telescoping assembly because the are.

And the assembly could not be simpler. As crazy as that may sound.