cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Tolerance control, Creo Elements Pro

wsmith(customer
1-Newbie

Tolerance control, Creo Elements Pro

Please help!

Issue: tolerance control

Win XP, Creo Elements Pro M150

Our part models are driving the drawings.

We are testing Creo Elements Pro.

In WF3 you could change the number of decimal places in a model dimension and the tolerance value would automatically change. For example 3.000 ±.010 when changed to 3.00 the tolerance would change to ±.020.

I have Searched PTC’s web site.

I cannot get Creo Elements Pro to work like WF3.

?Lost functionality ?enhancement ?operator error

Bill Smith

Design Engineer

Parker Hannifin Corporation

Electronic Controls Division

PH. 574 2544247

-

www.parker.com/ecd

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

If I read your issue correctly…

PTC changed the way this works. I think it was chagned from WF3 to WF4+.

Previously, when changing the number of decimal places, the dimension would use the default tolerance. If one had tolerance set up as...

1 place = ±.1

2 place = ±.01

3 place = ±.005

...it would use that value for the tolerance when changing the number of places on a dimension, overwriting any tolerance that was manually entered for that dimension.

The new method retains the previous tolerance rather than removing them in favor of the default and forcing the user to reset the tolerance for every dimension changed in this way.

I asked a rep about this a couple years ago and if I remember correctly, he said they found users wanted to retain tolerances that were in place before changing the number of decimal places more than they wanted to it to change their tolerance to whatever the default happened to be. (Having used it, I agree with their reasoning. Losing previously entered tolerances is more of a pain that not getting the default tolerance to show up.)

Yes, PTC changed functionality and IMHO much for the better. As a company that uses metric and thus decimal places have no effect on tolerances, the previous behavior was very annoying. Besides, if you are using inch drawing default tolerances then you are only displaying the nominal so it makes no difference what value is in the tolerance for the dimension and if you are displaying the tolerance then you want it to be something different than the default.

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Top Tags