Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up relational table

Amethyst

Trying to set up relational table

I've never used Relation Tables before but I see where this might be quite helpful.

So far the only thing I've figured out is how to put in a text description in what I'd like the table to do.

I have a number of sections that I've made into a Swept Blend feature.

These sections need a modified draft value for the side walls.

For every section that I have (There are 14 total) I would like to increase the sidewall angle by 1 degree.

Since each section has 4 sidewall draft dimensions I will need 56 dimensions updated to increase the draft value by 1 degree.

I know that each dimension in the sections has a different symbolic name. Most of the dimensional values are different.

I'm thinking that I would have to modify the symbolic names so they include something in common, so the draft value will be changed in each of the 56 dimensions.

How would the relation table values appear for something like this?

To give you a better grasp of what I am working on I'll attach a snapshot of a few of the sections.

Sections.JPG

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Trying to set up relational table

I've made another simple series of sketches just in case it might help by setting up a simpler relation table. I can place this on the net if it would help.

SketchesWithDraftWalls.JPG

I'm thinking that I would like to tie all the sidewall features to a single draft feature from the 1st sketch. If I add a degree of draft to this single feature I'd like it to update the remaining sidewall drafts in the sketches by the same offset value.

Hi Paul, maybe you are over complicating things here. Why so many sections? Maybe i am not fully understanding your finished geometry, so apologies if i am not. If i am understanding things right, i would have thought 2 sections, one at each end of the sweep would suffice, with a simple relation controlling the draft angle of sketch 2. If indeed you do need all 14 sections in your sweep, you certainly don't need 56 dimensions adding to the table, each sketch would only require 1 dimension. You need to create 'equal' constraints within the the sketch itself. Take your sketch 1, d26, d27, d28 & d29, i assume have the same value, in sketcher make then all equal, you only need change 1 dimension to manage the others.Then your relation might look something like d38=d26+1, d48=d26+2 & so on.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Regards

John

John,

I appreciate your reply to this confusing topic.

Unfortunately I think I over simplified the 2nd sketch set that I attached just to show a simple example. There might be an angle or 2 that happen to be the same draft but as a rule all the draft angles in the sketches are different values.

Based off your reply I should be able to control all the angles but it would require writing 55 different sets of equations based off of the original draft that 1 degree was added.

I will try this inside of my simple model with sketches.

I am wondering whether you could rename these 55 draft features to a common name that would add 1 degree of draft to each of these with only 1 equation line?

Is it stepped, or a smooth blend? If stepped, that would explain 55 different draft features! If it's smooth, why not use a VSS (Variable Section Sweep)? You can use a graph feature to specify a changing angle.

Frank: Most of the models that I make I go with the VSS because it does a good job with matching up side walls.

With this job the customer left all of their section curves in the model so I could make my blocker stage of the model directly off of an exact replica of their model.

I have heard that it was possible to modify numerous dimensions based off of 1 driving dimension, with this I saw an opportunity for learning how this technique would be done.

In the future I would like to inquire how you can specify adding draft with a graph feature.

With this job I'd like to follow the pattern that was established by our customer. The model itself has replicated well. Adding draft however is posing a challenge.

Unless there is another quick way of adding a degree to each draft feature I am thinking I might punt and make this into a large family table model. With this I can bump up each column dimension by one.

John: I did try the formula you suggested but I would have to tweak the original value to replicate some very odd values +1 for a lot of features.

Well, the thing with a VSS is that the other trajectories needto not have any steps normal to the origin trajectories. There can be an angle and they need not be tangent, but the step can't be normal. Or, if you want to vary it smoothly, put the angle dimension in the graph, and reference the graph in the VSS section relations.

‌Ok, what about a different approach. Instead of writing 56 different relations, how about using Table Pattern. Pattern sketch 1 to create 13 more sketches, adding the 4 draft side angles to the table. It would certainly be quicker. Just a thought.

John

Paul Imm wrote:

I have heard that it was possible to modify numerous dimensions based off of 1 driving dimension, with this I saw an opportunity for learning how this technique would be done.

‌I think this driving dimension would be in essence, a parameter.

John

I don't believe this would work in our application because there are varying widths, twists, depth tilts inside sketch, and tilted datums to line up. I've only shown the simple portion of our part.

I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a pattern table. That sounds like a great feature.