cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Unable to add hole tolerances in drawing

simran
6-Contributor

Unable to add hole tolerances in drawing

Hello all,

I am making some drawings and I need to add the hole tolerances values like A1, G6, F6, etc next to the hole dimension. But currently when I go to dimension properties and go for hole tolerance it only shows me letter H in the drop down value, others letters like A,F,G etc. arent in the menu. I have already tried retreiving tolerance tables from the CREO by going to File > prepare > drawing properties > tolerance change > retreive table > selcting all tables from the pop up window > open > creo then suggesting me to regenerate > ok and then back to the drawing properties and nothing! 

I wonder whats the probelm here? I really need to add those tolerenaces properly.

6 REPLIES 6
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:simran)

I'll be watching this post as I use ISO tolerance symbols as well.

I wasn't even aware there was anything built into the system.

For the most part, this has been a very manual process.

For domestic (USA) based suppliers, they want this information spelled out.

At that point, I look up the values and use them in the dimension properties dialog.

I also turn off the automatic nominal adjustment on limit dimensions.

This is one way to display the value, as limits, but you typically want to maintain the nominal "basis".

simran
6-Contributor
(To:TomD.inPDX)

yeah thats one way of doing it, but my company SOPs dont allow me to add these tolerances manually so I need to add them via proper tolerance dialogue box and I am still figuring out how to. 😞 

psobejko
12-Amethyst

I retrieve the table into the part model by doing file->prepare->model properties->tolerance (change)->tol tables->retrieve-> pick the ones that you will be using...

simran
6-Contributor
(To:psobejko)

Yeah thats exactly what I am doing, but its not working.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

I disagree; you are adding the tolerance tables so that they are available for use in annotations made in the drawing mode.  I was suggesting to add them in part modeling mode.

The dimension that you are trying to change probably comes directly from the model (good practice), and you are not able to change its tolerance class because it hasn't been loaded into the model.  To verify, I think you will be able to manually annotate the diameter feature in the drawing and be able to call out the proper fit with it.

One more thing about these dimensions; in many cases, the "nominal" is outside of the required tolerance range - for example, diameter 10 A9 hole is actually supposed to have the diameter between 10.280mm and 10.316mm; if you don't change anything and you measure such a hole feature, you will see that its diameter is 10.000mm.  This could cause problems if the 3D model is used downstream "as is".  I recommend going to part modeling mode, then Analysis tab, -> Tolerance Analysis drop down -> Dimension boundaries and set this dimension to be at the "middle value" - this will make the diameter of the hole feature to be 10.2980.

simran
6-Contributor
(To:psobejko)

oh well, I tried adding the fits at part level but same issue. It just doesnt show up any fit tolerances other than 'H' or 'h'.

And thanks for the info about nominal tolernaces, it reallly helped clear out some concepts. 🙂

Top Tags