cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Update the DTL GUI to be more intuitive for users

jwagh
17-Peridot

Update the DTL GUI to be more intuitive for users

Our users are finding that managing the current dtl (in drawings and models) to be cumbersome. For instance, adding dual dimensions to a drawing. A more accessible, user friendly dtl GUI would go a long way for users to manage their drawing specific settings.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
DMP-C
2-Guest
(To:jwagh)

I think it is great idea. It allows user to quickly toggle dimension scheme on fly rather than going through changing .dtl file. We already have toggle for placing dual dimension location, why not add dual dimensioning option too.

rsoukup
13-Aquamarine
(To:jwagh)

Maybe to even elaborate on this a bit more.  Why cant the dimensions be intelligent enough to KNOW what units are assigned to the model!  For instance, if the model is modeled in MM, but your company's requirement is to show Inches [millimeters] for dual units, why cant you just select it as such rather than trying to figure out "Primary" and "Secondary" and doing a scale factor?  Can it just be show "Inches" or "millimeters" or "Ft-Inches", or "Inches [millimeters]" and have the detailing be intelligent enough to know that rather than confuse everyone.  The model itself has units assigned to it, have it show them accordingly by default or have a .dtl setting that shows, no matter what the units for the model are, show them always an "inches [millimeters]" or whatever schema your company wants. 

Right now, we have map keys to set all the values depending in if it is modeled in metric units or imperial.

Furthermore, have it default that for Inches i want say 3 decimal places shown to the right of the decimal, and for mm, i want 2 decimals.  Right now with Primary and Secondary and the Dual Dim Diff, it is difficult to control that.  

These models are intelligent enough, dimensioning should not need to be this difficult to control and should be made easier and obvious.  Rather than primary or secondary, just let me select the units i want displayed and with what tolerance based on the units and go from there.  If it is dual, then it should copy the settings for each unit.

Top Tags