cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Using Datum Graphs in Relations

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Using Datum Graphs in Relations

This may be of particular interest to Frank... and it took me a bit of effort to actually make this work.

But now that I know that everyone can access the Learning Exchange with their PTC username/password, this teaser video is worth posting:

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/439/creating-datum-graphs

Of note here is using a graph to drive X based on Y (or visa-versa). But it certainly doesn't stop there. But know this is a method for managing 2D profiles.

If you also have active maintenance and know how to access the Knowledge Base (from the Learning Connector is easiest), search Datum Graph and you will find how to use the datum graph to drive Sweep trajectories, of particular interest, of course is driving the "trajpar".

If you have this level of access, this is the link it will take you to:

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/freefull_cskdb.jsp?&im_dbkey=93760&icg_dbkey=900

What the 1st video fails to highlight (and kind of jumps right over it) is -HOW- to apply the datum graph. It says to use relations, but does not present the format. The second reference makes this clear although the tutorial could be improved.

Here is the clue to making use of the FUNCTION - EVALGRAPH(). At 1st I was looking for parameters tied to the graph, but there aren't any!

So in the Sketch/Section Relations you have the following syntax:

sd# = evalgraph("<graphname>",<read graph for this parameter>)

• sd# is the sketch dimension being evaluated
  • evalgraph() is the function
  • "<graphname>" is the lower case of the graph name in the model tree
  • <read graph for this parameter> is the value along the graph applied to sd# (see 1st video)

example X-Y relationship: sd1 and sd0 are interchangeable

sd1=evalgraph("graph_1",sd0)

example trajpar relationship:

sd5=evalgraph("graph_2",trajpar*10)

I can see this as useful for certain master profiles.

This should be a lot of fun. Show us your graph-driven creations.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Sooner or later we all hit the bottle...

This uses a datum graph to create the main body.

spirits.JPG

Creo 2.0 and STEP files attached

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I'm a very spiritual guy myself. For spirits, I like bourbon, rum, gin, vodka.......

Check your PM's.........

I did a quick model to check the "content volume" after I tweeked it a bit.

...that bottle is 3.25 liters! Can you say "PAR-TEH!"

I made some simple changes in the graph to make the ID guy in me happier, and I was amazed at how stable the whole thing was. There was more work involved in filleting the letters than making the bottle itself.

To think, all I wanted to do is show a graph in a quick screenprint and I run across this. Never got my graph for the screenprint though

Top Tags