cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Using Family Tables To Create Drawings

zrehlander
1-Newbie

Using Family Tables To Create Drawings

Hey everyone,

At work we have about 20,000 models and drawings of different gears and most of which fit into 4 categories. Some of them are on different formats though and our drawing format has changed over the years. I am looking to get all of the drawings on the same template so that our machinists never have to search around for a dimension, it will just be in the same sot every time. I have figured out the family table for the 4 Macro families and understand how to update those, but it would take way to many hours than its worth to individually update each drawing. I looked into repeat regions but in our drawings we use a front view, right view, and then a iso view in the top right corner so we do not have room to put a large table on the drawing. For example, if we wanted to switch 7,500 parts from a black oxide finish to a clear zinc finish is there a way to do a mass update through family tables instead of going into each drawing and manually changing the finish block in the title block. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jose_Costa
6-Contributor
(To:zrehlander)

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but can't you just create a parameter "Finish" in the generic part and then use it in the format?

Jose

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jose_Costa
6-Contributor
(To:zrehlander)

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but can't you just create a parameter "Finish" in the generic part and then use it in the format?

Jose

Would a parameter show up in the family table? or is that something you have to type into each part individually? Because if it shows up in the family table that would be great to just open it in excel and then I could change all of the finishes pretty quick

I guess I answered that myself, I can put a paramteter in the family table. But, if I change the material or finish in the family table will it automatically update the parameter for the drawing?

As long as that parameter is in the drawing table, it will update.

Sorry this is my first summer working with PRO E. We have a table in the bottom right corner that has a bunch of boxes for details, drawing number, customer part number, and so on, so is this categorized as a drawing table?

Probably. Generally speaking...

The title block on drawings (lower right corner) is made of tables.

Depending upon the internal standards of your company, these may read parameters from the model. If you change a model parameter (something like Drawn By or Date) and the drawing automatically updates, then it was set up this way. This would be done with drawing templates and start parts (start assemblies), which are simply a way to standardize a lot of the metadata across all parts. If this table is reading the parameter Material or Finish from a model parameter, this will automatically update when you update that model parameter.

There is also another type of table called a 2D Repeat Region. This reads all the information directly from the family table. It can be a little more involved to set up. I've never seen this type of table in the title block. I've only seen it in the main area of the drawing. In this sort of setup, the model parameter would need to be added to the family table and filled in for every instance for it to show.

Just got in and checked and yes it does automatically update according to my family table. Thank you!

Top Tags