cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Using Windchill to Manage Drawing Symbols & Material Files

lkerila
1-Newbie

Using Windchill to Manage Drawing Symbols & Material Files

Can anyone explain how to use Windchill to manage (more importantly, to store) data such as drawing symbols and material files? My users are asking me to place these files in Windchill, so they have easy access to retreieve them while using Pro/E. In theory, it seems very logical, since it can manage the revision history of these files (or lock them from being inadvertently modified), plus... it acts as a common server, especially nice, since we don't have one for our group.As it is now, every user has to have a copy of these files local on their machine.

I've had no luck in trying to find info on how to use Windchill to accomplish this. I thought it would be simple. Can anyone help?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

First of all, hats off to Steven G. Smith for sharing some of the secrets of Windchill with me regarding this topic. Apparently, Steven has a Windchill 9.1 Admin book out on the market. I'll have to buy a copy and suggest you all do the same.

Here is what I did to add my symbols to Windchill:

1 - Create a directory in Windchill named "Symbols"

2 - Copy the directory path (ie: wtpub://<your.server.com>/Library/Symbols)

3 - Launch Pro/E and create a new workspace

4 - Create a new empty drawing

5 - Add desired symbols to new empty drawing (all of them you want to add to Windchill)

6 - Pick "Format/Symbol Gallery/Symbol Dir" and browse to the directory in Windchill

7 - Pick "Write/Name/(pick name from list)" for each symbol (repeat for entire list)

8 - Open your workspace browser and refresh the window

9 - You should see the list of symbols you just wrote (saved)

10 - Tick the box for each symbol and then check them in

11 - Be sure to change the directory location as appropriate during the check-in process

Materials were added to Windchill in essentially the same manner. I did have a hiccup when I tested this, however. I found that Pro/E was not reading my paths correctly for some reason. When I entered it in config.pro from scratch, it worked perfectly (after restarting Pro).

Hope this helps!

In Reply to Lar Kerila:

Can anyone explain how to use Windchill to manage (more importantly, to store) data such as drawing symbols and material files? My users are asking me to place these files in Windchill, so they have easy access to retreieve them while using Pro/E. In theory, it seems very logical, since it can manage the revision history of these files (or lock them from being inadvertently modified), plus... it acts as a common server, especially nice, since we don't have one for our group.As it is now, every user has to have a copy of these files local on their machine.

I've had no luck in trying to find info on how to use Windchill to accomplish this. I thought it would be simple. Can anyone help?

There is a simplification available for this process - You can avoid steps 3-7 and all those Pro/E steps by just using the Workspace > Tools > Import function to directly import the symbols from an external folder to your local Workspace.

For this to work you'll first need to set this config option in Pro/E and restart Pro/E:

allow_import_file_extension hol,pnt,pcf,sym,tbl

Mike Foster
ATK
Top Tags