cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Using sketcher for labeling and the drawing result

nsgoldberg
6-Contributor

Using sketcher for labeling and the drawing result

I have a large assembly, created by another group 20 years ago. A lot of the electrical connectors are labeled by using a sketch on the part surface. The issue is, when opening the top-level assembly drawing, every sketch shows on every view (through all of the parts). Since the assembly is so large, it's not easy to hide all of the individual parts that contain the sketches.

I can't find a config option to hide sketches. I want the sketches to show in a view where they are visible, but not show through other solid parts. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:nsgoldberg)

I think the problem is your "old data". In older versions of Pro/E, you could make cosmetic sketches. Those sketches would show thru solid geometry in the drawings and were always a pain to deal with. At some point, the cosmetic sketch was replaced by the current sketch functionality that obey's the display view command.

I don't have any old files to test on but you may be able to use erase cosmetics on views you don't want to see the labels.

If I remember correctly, we put the cosmetic sketches on a layer to be able to control their visibility. You may also want to check to see if they are already on a layer since this used to be a common problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

display view in No Hidden mode. Please attach picture, if it does not help.

Martin Hanák

Thank you for the response. By default I have all of my views set to No Hidden. That's not the issue - there aren't any hidden lines displayed. The issue is that any sketch shows through all items on every view.

I typically use a sketched extrusion to display text on a part to avoid this problem, but this large assembly was created 20 years ago.

A bit of Googling, and it seems a common issue with folks using datum curves. The solution I've read is to place all sketches on a layer, and then hide that layer. However, since there are many labels, this would be time consuming, and I also want the sketches to appear in the views where the text is facing the orientation and visible.

@nsgoldberg wrote:

Thank you for the response. By default I have all of my views set to No Hidden. That's not the issue - there aren't any hidden lines displayed. The issue is that any sketch shows through all items on every view.

I typically use a sketched extrusion to display text on a part to avoid this problem, but this large assembly was created 20 years ago.

A bit of Googling, and it seems a common issue with folks using datum curves. The solution I've read is to place all sketches on a layer, and then hide that layer. However, since there are many labels, this would be time consuming, and I also want the sketches to appear in the views where the text is facing the orientation and visible.

Hi,

I tested your problem in Creo 2.0. Sketched curves were not visible through solid geometry of assembly components. I can look into your data, if you are able to upload some sample (packed in zip file).

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:nsgoldberg)

I think the problem is your "old data". In older versions of Pro/E, you could make cosmetic sketches. Those sketches would show thru solid geometry in the drawings and were always a pain to deal with. At some point, the cosmetic sketch was replaced by the current sketch functionality that obey's the display view command.

I don't have any old files to test on but you may be able to use erase cosmetics on views you don't want to see the labels.

If I remember correctly, we put the cosmetic sketches on a layer to be able to control their visibility. You may also want to check to see if they are already on a layer since this used to be a common problem.

nsgoldberg
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

This is what I've determined it to be. I can create new sketches, and they don't show. It's the old sketches that do.

The layer tree was an absolute mess. I ended up blanking the items that had the text showing through. Not ideal, but it worked.

Thank you everyone for your help!

no problem, glad we could provide some insight... sorry the layer tree was a mess for you 😞

Zachary Hopkins

layer tree, I believe it is curves that the layer is named that the sketches go on..... you can hide within individual views within the layer tree on a drawing.

I hope I answered your question in the respects to your question.

thanks

Zachary Hopkins
Top Tags