cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

WF4 Refit Button in drawing mode is linked to the drawing format

jbennett
3-Visitor

WF4 Refit Button in drawing mode is linked to the drawing format

Is there an option or a way to zoom to drawng views that are outside of the drawing format? At times we have views that are outside of the drawing format that goes un-noticed until the drawing is published for productview. It would be nice to run a quick check to see if they exist. The current refit botton is configured to the drawing format. Can it be redefined? Can I create a custom mapkey or button to zoom to find all the drawing views

John

CAD Admin

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

I think ModelCHECK has a check for views outside the format.

Of course you can make a mapkey - and then a custom button for that
mapkey - that refits to the format, then zooms out a couple times.

John,
Interesting and timely question - we have the same problem. Zooming out "a couple of times" won't necessarily work - I have seen situations where there are entities that, when the drawing is zoomed to make them appear in frame, the format for the drawing is a barely visible dot. It appears that the publisher is zooming to the extents so that all entities fit within the captured thumbnail - Pro/E doesn't do this, at least not by default, either on screen or as part of the plotting process. I'd be interested to know how to replicate what the publisher is doing, without the use of ModelCHECK, so these issues could be found and corrected before the drawings are checked in.

Thanks,
Mark

If the format is a barely visible dot in order to see the view...

PEBKAC

Just sayin'.

Don

Don,
I hear you... 🙂

It does, however, create issues when the "plot" process works differently between Pro/E and the publishing application. It's easy for geometry that is outside of the format to be missed by a user, especially considering that a refit doesn't zoom out to gather all of the entities into the view. Even if the user is diligent and zooms out a couple of times to check, it's unlikely that they would find entities that were grossly out of range. If I knew what the publisher was doing, I could possibly replicate that at the user's level. It doesn't affect our implementation much, it's inconvenient more than anything, but being forced to check-out files to correct those issues would be a nightmare for anyone using change management...

Mark

Mark,

I can understand if you're facing legacy issues where a prior user
placed the view out in the Oort Cloud. In these cases, there is not much
that the current user can do (and s/he really shouldn't be faulted). If
the current user is placing the view out there, that's an issue of
training or policy or someone being a little too passive aggressive.

The solutions I see (if the view isn't close enough that 2x or 3x zoom
out will expose it)...

1. Current user will check it in. Wait for it to publish (or force
a publish during check-in). View in ProductView (or print it out) to
detect the issue. Check it back out. Correct issue. Check it back in and
repeat the check.

2. Configure ModelCHECK. The learning curve is a little difficult,
but once you get it this is a very valuable tool for creating good
models/drawings, and not just for ProductView publishing.

Don

Thanks for all the suggetions. Before I became the CAD Admin, I was part of engineering and I used to always do a final Productview check before I sent drawings to promotion (we use promotions to released to lock the data going into production). I will be giving the person who asked for this the options available. I agree that ultimitely it is a training issue to verify that the user does not place the views outside of the format, but we are dealing with 25+ years of data so there are those hidden axis, etc. that will show up time to time without the current user knowing especially if they revise the data and make changes.

I will post any other tricks I find while I continue to investigate this.

John Bennett

Lifetime Products

CAD Admin

Top Tags