cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

WF5 Drawing 'ribbon' Menus

ptc-255508
1-Newbie

WF5 Drawing 'ribbon' Menus

WF5 Drawing environment has gone to 'ribbon' menus as seen in MS Office 2007 - this means an extra mouse click to enter the appropriate ribbon and then select the desired tool. Also for infrequently used tools there is that process of searching through the tabs. The MS Office system works because it has a quick access toolbar which you can position below the ribbon menus and load with your popular tools - can't find anything like this with the new ProE menus (?) Tried creating a custom toolbar but the tool icons contained in the ribbon menus don't seem to be available in the Commands tab. Spose I could create mapkeys and assign icons and then apply to a custom toolbar - messy though. Any suggestions/thoughts? Cheers, Sean
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I was going to try exactly what you did. Seems as if I would have wasted my time! Maybe post on mcadcentral.com for more ideas from other users..
dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-255508)

I've submitted enhancement requests to allow this functionality, and also to allow selection and modification of entities without regard to tab context, but so far have not heard anything from PTC.

It has reduced our productivity quite a bit because of the extra mouse clicks to do everything in drawing mode.

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:dhermosillo)

This has still not been fixed as of Creo 2. Unlike the Microsoft ribbon, where when you select something it takes you to the correct ribbon, the PTC ribbon stays in the current mode no matter what entity is selected. This requires that the user either select the tab first and then pick an entity, or hold down alt and select the entity. Either way requires more clicks and usually happens after you've clicked several times and are wondering why the software isn't working. Then you realize you have to click the tab first or use alt. So, 4, 5, 10 extra clicks.

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-255508)

I created a group and a poll for WF5 angst:

http://communities.ptc.com/groups/wf5-ribbon-angst

So far (and I've only be using it a few days) my biggest frustration is that you can only select the items appropriate for that ribbon. So, all the RMB options of doing things aren't available if you are on the wrong ribbon. I have been using Solidworks for several years and it looks like a similar ribbon sort of interface, but it doesn't restrict what you can pick. Then the RMB stuff is all available after you picked it.

Top Tags