cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

WF5 Erased dimension won't show again

tcooper
1-Newbie

WF5 Erased dimension won't show again

Trying to understand/work with; WF5, M050 Detailing. A shown driving dimension is erased, and then when I went to show it again, it will not come up for selection. Played with deleting a shown dimension and it will show up for placing it again. Strange, in that before WF5 you could not even delete a shown dimension, only erase it. Any experience with that?

Tim P. Cooper
LM IS&GS-CIVIL, Houston
Launch & Recovery Systems PTVPC
LM2 / Cube 228L

Physical Address: Correspondence:
2400 NASA Pkwy LM2, 304B
Houston, TX 77058 P.O. Box 58487
(281) 333-6735 Houston, TX 77258-8784
(281) 333-6300 (F)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Tim,

The terminology for erased and deleted is a bit confusing in WF5.
Deleted is more like erased and erased is hidden.

You can find the erased dimension in the drawing tree under the view it
was shown in. Delete it from there, and then you will be able to show it
again.

I have had an occasional dimension disappear only to find it had become
erased. the only place to find them is in the drawing tree.

Roger Crill

Sr. CAD Administrator

Manitowoc Cranes
P 920.683.6554

F 920.683.6277
"Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and
Passion for Excellence"

This is a lesson we learned quickly when we jumped to WF5. On detailed prints, never "erase" a dimension, always "delete" it. That way, as you're discovering, you'll be able to show it again w/o going to the drawing tree.

Regards,

Steve Shannon
Tooling Engineer
trans-matic
300 East 48th St.
Holland, MI 49423
phone (616) 820-2427
fax (616) 820-2488
www.transmatic.com

Speaking of terminology, these are the guys who coined "unhide"

and decided to change "redefine" to "edit definition" in 60% of the gui.

Also changed "reroute" to "edit references" but just in some contexts...no all..

so i guess we are lucky that we aren't dealing with "un-undelete" and "unshow" and "un-select" of "undeselect"

wow

Actually, I like the use of "unhide." Since the default state is "shown" or
"unhidden" the only time you need the "unhide" command is after you've
already used "Hide" so having "Unhide" occupy the same space in the context
menu makes a lot of sense.

I'm with you on your points about "edit definition" & "edit references"
though.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>
JMSCRA
1-Newbie
(To:tcooper)

So is "undeselect" (see below)what I do when I pick out a pair of BVD's in the morning?

Sorry, I just could not resist!! ROTFL

John M. Scranton
Manager Design Drafting
and Configuration Management
Ultra - USSI
4578 E. Park 30 Dr.
Columbia City, IN 46725-8869
*Voice: 260.248.3576
*Fax; 260.248.3509
[cid:image001.jpg@01CCCBC5.A67D09F0]

As Butthead (Beavis and Butthead) would say... "Uh (long pause) What?"

Bob 🙂

... and we found out that to hide a curve feature from 1 view, you select it and erase. I think my main complaint with PTC is that their focus is on new customers, not legacy users.

Wait until you folks go to edit your config.pro in Creo Parametric. They've merged all config files into one. You cannot segregate them inside of ProE. On the plus side, I do like the new interface. I will have to rebuild a lot of mapkeys, unfortunately.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:tcooper)

I've started a discussion on the system management group on the
config.pro issues. It's quite a mess, in my view. Here's the
discussion:

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

In Reply to Joe Kidd:

... and we found out that to hide a curve feature from 1 view, you select it and erase. I think my main complaint with PTC is that their focus is on new customers, not legacy users.

Wait until you folks go to edit your config.pro in Creo Parametric. They've merged all config files into one. You cannot segregate them inside of ProE. On the plus side, I do like the new interface. I will have to rebuild a lot of mapkeys, unfortunately.

I think PTC's focus is now ease of use, but they have a lot of baggage left that is simply not easy for anyone to understand, veteran and new user alike.

My understanding is that in Creo, there is a config.pro option that will always delete dimensions, even when you Erase them. This way they always show up when you select "Show". In the older versions of Pro/E, the button was called "Show/Hide" which was much easier to use and understand that the current setup.

Seems PTC goes backwards sometimes in making their software easy to use. We are enjoying Creo much more than Pro/E but there is still plenty of areas were it's just not easy to use. Not to mention all the legacy crap code from 2001 still showing up.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Top Tags