cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Warp "Sculpt"

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Warp "Sculpt"

Hi,

i am trying to rough up an area of a flat surface, give it texture so to speak, (a ripple effect). I have projected a kind of cloud shape on to my flat surface & now i want to have the surface within this boundary have texture, no more than 1mm deep. I have been trying to achieve the desired result using the warp, sculpt tool but find it difficult to work with, i can get half way there with it, but its not quite want i want to see. The main problem is the boundary shape, it is difficult to stay within it. I pick the projected curve as a reference & this helps resize the sculpt grid, but no matter what i do, i end up deforming the flat surface outside my boundary. It would help if the grid could be set to a finer increment, it only allows 20 rows by 20 columns max. I am using WF5, standard license.

The rough surface needs to be physically present, i would machine from it ultimately, so using the appearance manager to render the surface cosmetically would be useless. Any ideas, anyone?

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi John...

I think this might be a good situation for a surface replacement. You can both add and remove material at the same time using this technique. You'd make a surface representing the ripples. Then, you'd trim the surface to the shape of your cloud. Finally, you'd patch this quilt into your solid to complete the effect. This should give you very precise control of the ripples, shape, location, and transition area.

If this sounds like what you're after, let me know. You can either research it yourself through the help files or I can put together a brief tutorial demonstrating the technique.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

what you describe certainly sounds interesting. If you could spare the time, i would take you up on your offer of a brief tutorial for sure, anything that could help me along with this project would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John

Okay... I'll try to whip up something... slides or a video. I'll only be able to demonstrate a small portion of the potential solutions. I can think of several. I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction. I'll need a day to create the tutorial. Hang tight and I'll get back to you!

Thanks...

-Brian

Hi Brian,

what are the chances of you creating a demo of this technique? if none don't worry, i just want to be better prepared for next time i encounter this kind of thing. As far as this particular instance was concerned i got a "get of of jail card", my customer sent me a model that i was able to work with, but i might not be so lucky in the future.

May i take this opportunity to wish you & your family a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year, hopefully you, & others like you (David) will continue to come to my rescue next year.

Kind Regards

John

Hi John...

No problem... which technique do you want to see: toriodal bend, warp, or the graphic trickery thing?

It'll take a bit longer to do all three but I'll be happy to do them all if you'd like. I still owe Dalbeer the remainder of the pattern relations demonstration... but I can squeeze this in, too.

I hope you and your family also have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

Take care...

-Brian

Hi Brian,

the warp feature please. It is the replacement surface technique you described further up this post that i really need help with. I am good with the toriodal bend, i use that a great deal, when the wrap tool fails me.

Regards

John

Hi John...

Here's a brief comparison of Toroidal Bend and the Warp Bend. I re-read the thread and it seems I still owe you a tutorial on the surface replacement techique. Take a look at this first... and I'll try to work on the replacement surface one over the holidays. I knew I was going to forget something eventually... I'm trying to keep too many threads going at once!

Take care and have a great holiday. If anything in these slides is unclear, let me know. I didn't give a complete step-by-step breakdown, just the important stuff. The first few times you work with warp you'll probably be confused. By using the slides below and playing with the features a bit, you will quickly understand how they work and how to use them to manipulate your models.

One thing... warps can be piled on top of each other. You can stretch, twist, bend, and otherwise contort your models into complete pretzels ALL in the same feature. The tools can distort your models (but so can a toroidal bend) so be careful.

Click any of the slides below for a better view.

Thanks!!

-Brian

Slide1.PNG

Slide2.PNG

Slide3.PNG

Slide4.PNG

Slide5.PNG

Slide6.PNG

Slide7.PNG

toroidal_bends_final.png

Hope that made sense!! Merry Christmas! The one on the LEFT is the real product. The one on the right is my quick attempt at a knockoff.

Top Tags