cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Why CREO doesn't allow user to edit the dimensions for first time itself?

kp-3
2-Guest

Why CREO doesn't allow user to edit the dimensions for first time itself?

If I want to draw a line of known length.At first I have to construct a line of unknown length and then click the line's dimension to edit it.I think it doubles the work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:kp-3)

PTC is a huge ship with many captains and only a few engineers.  They chase new dollars, not the little people.  Pro|E is pretty much what it was back in the day, for better or worse.  If you enjoy the high end new development efforts in making your job easier or you now have additional functionality, then you are seeing PTC at work.  If you have core Creo and expect what work now to change, you are asking for a lot.  Those of us who have grown up with Pro|E understand how to work with Pro|E.  Once you know that, all the flavors, from Pro|E, to WF, to Creo, are very similar and certainly familiar.  There is a lot to be said for that.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

It sounds like you are trying to sketch lines in a drawing. - not fun.

But it seems to doubles the processing of the system.

mender
6-Contributor

I'd presumed you were talking about Sketcher.  Are you talking about sketching in Drawing?

kp-3
2-Guest
(To:mender)

Even in part modelling also the behavior happens

StephenW
23-Emerald II

It has always been where you sketch approximately what you want and then you edit the dimesion. It's very unlikely this will change.

If you have active maintenance, you can submit a product idea to request a change to the functionality (product enhancement).

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

in Sketcher mode Creo works as you have described. You cannot change this behavior.

MH

Martin Hanák
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

When you begin sketching, Creo doesn't know if your initial line is 1" or 20,000 miles.  Imagine having to scale the environment before you get to draw that line.

Most of my parts are in the "inches" range.  1st feature I sketch is a 1/2" circle.  Zoom to fit and now begin.

Since sketch elements can be dragged, you could use that option once you see the self-generated dimensions.  But why?

Drawing sketch tools are simply archaic.  I am not even looking for PTC to correct this in my working lifetime.  It just is, and it just is horrible.

Don't forget grid-snap.  That might do what you want.  I find sketcher grids to be annoying but drawing grids help.

Of course, SolidWorks did something interesting: you draw the line... you dimension the line... and the system scales the environment to the line.  Invisible to the user.  Very nice.

There are a few other niggles with PTCs method.  I've had accuracy errors when using very small numbers in the 1st feature while the extent is around 400 inches.  It would fail for no apparent reason.  But if it was the second feature, no issues.

kp-3
2-Guest

Why PTC doesn't change this behaviour?

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

PTC is a huge ship with many captains and only a few engineers.  They chase new dollars, not the little people.  Pro|E is pretty much what it was back in the day, for better or worse.  If you enjoy the high end new development efforts in making your job easier or you now have additional functionality, then you are seeing PTC at work.  If you have core Creo and expect what work now to change, you are asking for a lot.  Those of us who have grown up with Pro|E understand how to work with Pro|E.  Once you know that, all the flavors, from Pro|E, to WF, to Creo, are very similar and certainly familiar.  There is a lot to be said for that.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

You are assuming that every user will want to keep the line length dimension.  I rarely draw a sketch of a single line and even then I sometimes want to dimension the ends of the line to other references.  So, automatically entering edit mode for the line length after sketching it would be a waste of time in many circumstances.

I typically sketch the lines, arcs, etc. that I want, but off-position and not to scale.  I then apply the dimension scheme that I want (ignoring the dims that Creo created) and lastly change the dim values to what I want.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
ArunPLM
7-Bedrock

Hi,

Sometimes the user can use the 'Dimension Text' tool. Sometimes not.

The observation is, it changes it behaviour when windows Logoff/Login happens.

Any comments?

Top Tags