cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Workspace Associativity

dwright-2
1-Newbie

Workspace Associativity

Is there associativity between workspaces? By this I mean when I export a file from Windchill, in this case a .asm assembly into one workspace, typically the active workspace, but I want to import a file from a different workspace into the current assembly that I am working on as soon as I start typing in the workspace search field the workspace changes from the second workspace that I am trying to import from back to the active workspace. If I activate the second workspace I receive a message that says "This operation will erase all objects in session. Do you want to continue?"

Is it not possible to import a file from one workspace into another when constructing an assembly?

I hope this makes sense.

Doug

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dwright-2)

Even though all the files from all workspaces are in the same physical folder on your local cache, Windchill treats the contents of each workspace separately. If you have a new object in one workspace (never checked in), and you want to use it in another workspace, your only real option is to go to that workspace, back the file up to disk, then switch back to the other worksapace and re-open from disk. Basically, work outside of Windchill.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dwright-2)

Even though all the files from all workspaces are in the same physical folder on your local cache, Windchill treats the contents of each workspace separately. If you have a new object in one workspace (never checked in), and you want to use it in another workspace, your only real option is to go to that workspace, back the file up to disk, then switch back to the other worksapace and re-open from disk. Basically, work outside of Windchill.

dwright-2
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Thanks Tom, I was getting frustrated with it.

Top Tags