cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

config to update dtl file to old drawings

DenisRodrigues
2-Guest

config to update dtl file to old drawings

Today, if you have a library with many drawings and need change one option in dtl file(drawing options). You must open each drawing and update the dtl file to each drawing. By the case 11760111, is necessary create a mapkey to poen the drawing and update the dtl file.

I suggest one parameter in config.pro that allows to enable this option.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

I fully support this idea.

Great Idea , i have a mapkey for that but an config option would be great

It's an interesting idea. If I understand what you're asking for it is that you'd like to have a config.pro option with which you could specify the name/path of a drawing options file (DTL) and upon retrieval of a drawing this new DTL would be automatically read into the drawing.

We'd have to be VERY careful with this kind of option because it has the potential to make significant changes to a drawing immediately upon retrieval. One of the cornerstone principles that we have in Creo is that the drawing is a legal document and we take special care to make sure that drawings will look the same when they are retrieved as they did when they were last saved. This kind of option has the potential, if abused, to make a big mess of drawings on retrieval.

If we ever attempted such an option, it would likely need to be "activated" by some config.sup option so that administrators could ensure that users weren't abusing it.

All of that being said, I can see the use case where such an option would be nice to have. I've marked this as "For Future Consideration" for now since we're not in a position to implement it at the moment and that still allows people to continue voting on it.

I agree that drawings should not change immediately upon opening, but consider that if the part changes the drawing will change upon opening.  I understand that in this case, the part changed, of course the drawing would.

This option might come with a warning message that they DTL settings in the specified file are different than the drawings setting (with a list of the difference!), what do you want to do, keep the old or keep the new?  It should also have an option for admins to force keeping the new with a message to review the drawing for changes, again indicating the settings that have changed.

I think this could be valuable.  I'd like to vote for it, but there are no voting buttons, perhaps because you marked it "For Future Consideration".

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

The "drawing shall not change" mandate assumes an "as stored" configuration of the drawing models. So, yes, if the model has changed of course the drawing would update.

I thought the "For Future Consideration" status still allowed voting, but maybe it doesn't. I just changed it to "Under Consideration" - let's if that does the trick... I'm pretty sure there is a status that still allows voting but also indicates that we've looked at it. Just need to remember which one...

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DenisRodrigues)

Nope, that one is locked too.

OK. I'll have to check with Ryan Kelley‌ for the correct status to use.

For now, I've put it back at Open For Voting.

I've changed this Product Idea's status to "Under Consideration" which simple means, "PTC product management has reviewed this enhancement request, we just need more feedback and use cases". This allows for us to notify the users that it's in the mix, while keeping voting turned on.

If you have any questions about Product Ideas and stages, please see our documentation: What are Product Idea stages?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DenisRodrigues)

Actually, I might have been wrong.  It's working now but still shows "Under Consideration".  I just voted it up.

That did it, I voted up!

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags