cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

creo layout - is it worth it

garytinker
5-Regular Member

creo layout - is it worth it

ok heres the question,

creo parametric has "layout" what i want to know is do i need creo layout if i allready have it in parametric?

is there more functuality to it or is it just a sectioned off package that is the same as the one in creo parametric?

cheers

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gary,

Don't have it but in the promotional stuff I have seen it is targeted towards people who do 2D layouts specifically and is supposed to have tools that help this including not initially requiring a fully dimensioned sketch! The example explained is for gearbox work where essentially people work on a 2D cross section through the shafts. Was supposedly developed in conjunction with a major car company. And yes you can use this to drive the 3D parts. Very different to the decades old Layout that was a nice idea but very user unfriendly.

I'm sure if you search youtube you can find a promo video to give you the idea on the current Layout.

Regards, Brent

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

There was Layout which is now Notebook and then there's Layout which is different. Which Layout are you looking at?

The original Layout, now Notebook, was/is a 2D non-scaled centralized location for commonly used values and some datum relationships. The most obvious use is to capture numeric values that are identified prior to starting the detailed design process. The less obvious is to be able to magnify small details against a background that would otherwise hide it, since the sketching is not parametric and therefore not tied to any scale. It is the digital equivalent of a hand sketch. A Notebook can have many sheets, like a drawing, and can include comments in the form of notes.

The new Layout looks like a 2D to 3D non-parametric bridge, sort of like a 2D non-parametric skeleton, but in a more user friendly environment. It is required to be to scale, so it cannot emphasize small details, and it doesn't seem like it's an easy way to share numeric values explicitly.

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/2280/layout-file-types-and-uses is a little bit of the difference.

garytinker
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

so the "new" layout in parametric is the same as "Creo layout"

http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/2d-cad/layout

or is "Creo layout" an add-on package with more features?

Creo Layout is another "App" similar to Simulate, Direct, Parametric, etc. Its its own thing.

garytinker
5-Regular Member
(To:AndyHermanson)

yea i get that. but what does it do that is an improvement from layout in parametric, or is it basicly the same thing but just a stand alone package?

Hi Gary,

Don't have it but in the promotional stuff I have seen it is targeted towards people who do 2D layouts specifically and is supposed to have tools that help this including not initially requiring a fully dimensioned sketch! The example explained is for gearbox work where essentially people work on a 2D cross section through the shafts. Was supposedly developed in conjunction with a major car company. And yes you can use this to drive the 3D parts. Very different to the decades old Layout that was a nice idea but very user unfriendly.

I'm sure if you search youtube you can find a promo video to give you the idea on the current Layout.

Regards, Brent

Top Tags