cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

drawing view - clip out background

creuz
11-Garnet

drawing view - clip out background

Hi, this is a simple concept but hard to explain.

How can I create a drawing view where the background is clipped away?

Here's a visual example...

If I have this model...

trimbackground1.png

And I create a section view using the front round surface, cutting out the disk.

trimbackground2.png

How to get a drawing view, where I am looking at the part from the front so I can see the rectangle and triangle but not the disk?

trimbackground3.png

The application is actually a more complex assembly drawing view, I just used a part model as an example.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:creuz)

Something is a little off. My assembly i am working on below with just a simple planar section. Not the best example but maybe it will help. it doesn't matter whether its a section or not, works the same, everything behind the clipping reference point it simply gone.

1st image is with no z-clipping

2nd image is with an arbitrary point (behind the cross section cut) that shows that everything behind that point is clipped. The z-clip is easiest to pick in another view. I circled the z-clip reference point I selected

StephenWilliams_0-1587500952278.png

StephenWilliams_1-1587501101337.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kdirth
20-Turquoise

At the assembly level, you can use Component Display to Blank components you don't want to see.

Another option is to create a simplified rep in the assembly and use the simplified rep in the view.  This does have some limitations, assembly BOM Balloons and cannot be attach to the view and all related views must be the same simplified rep.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

In the view properties dialog box, select the Visible Area tab, then use Z-direction clipping. You will specify the point at which creo hides everything behind. 

creuz
11-Garnet
(To:StephenW)

I knew I was missing something, that's exactly what I wanted, but, it isn't working. I see this has nothing to do with section view. Fine, I selected the cylinder front surface, also tried with the co-incident model plane, no clip, same complete front view. I tried it with both the sample assembly and the part.

Maybe I'm missing something. Also, when I try to this with my main assembly drawing view, the option is greyed out.

I managed to get a Zone to work, but it was buggy, for some reason my fasteners went missing.

Thanks.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Something is a little off. My assembly i am working on below with just a simple planar section. Not the best example but maybe it will help. it doesn't matter whether its a section or not, works the same, everything behind the clipping reference point it simply gone.

1st image is with no z-clipping

2nd image is with an arbitrary point (behind the cross section cut) that shows that everything behind that point is clipped. The z-clip is easiest to pick in another view. I circled the z-clip reference point I selected

StephenWilliams_0-1587500952278.png

StephenWilliams_1-1587501101337.png

creuz
11-Garnet
(To:StephenW)

That looks right.

I might have to workout a bug on my end.

Thanks.

Top Tags