cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

multiple sheet drawing format creo 2.0

lheiden
1-Newbie

multiple sheet drawing format creo 2.0

I have a D sized drawing format, it has sheet 1 and 2

I want to

1. add another sheet (sheet 3) How?

2.the 3rd sheet I want it to have viewports or at least I can have 4 areas in the format to lay out up to 4 models onto one sheet (3)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:lheiden)

I don't think you're going to get what you want.  Templates are only useful when the drawing is first being created.  Sure, you could pre-build a template with three sheets and the third sheet could be divided up the way you want, but there is no way to automatically add multiple models to the drawing and then have the template views map to each of these.  Companies who do large, multi-sheet, multi-model drawings achieve this through automation.  A 3rd party program creates the sheet, adds the models, creates the view, and adds any other items (tables, notes, etc.)

Yes, you could certainly create a single format that is divided up, but you will manually have to change the format in the drawing every time you add sheet 3 (or more.)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You need to create drawing templates for your multi-sheet drawing base.

Formats do not have views on them, that is what drawing templates add.

If I am not mistaken, if your format file has 2 sheets, the 1 sheet is always the 1 sheet, and the second sheet is a "continuation sheet" meaning all subsequent sheets will take on the format's sheet 2 appearance.

Templates can have your basic drawing features and settings predefined in them. 

I'm working with a D size, I opened the format file and I have these 2 sheets and I can not add a third. It appears as I have to start over with a new D format and add the 3 sheet after I create sheets 1 and 2.

Sheet 1 has the Title block and a  BOM and the rev. block

sheet 2 has a title block with the sheet number and job number.

What happens when you tell Creo to add a sheet to your drawing on the toolbar lower-left?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm confused to what exactly you want to end up with.

I just add the 3rd sheet (using sheet 2 format it uses for all sheets past sheet 2).

There is really no such thing as "viewports" in drawings. You can add as many other models and detail those want to.

The image below is sheet 12 of a weldment that all parts are detailed on the last several sheets. Is that what you are asking for?

How does one add a different sheet 2 format? Is there a setting where you point to the file like in Solidworks and it will use the same format for sheet 2 and following?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:JW_10013345)

In your format file, you create the 2 base sheets.

Sheet 1 has your full title block, revision table and BOM table.

Sheet 2 only has the reduced continuation title block.

You can then create a drawing template that has as many sheets as you need, adding views or whatever.

We use a 2 sheet template and when the designer goes to add a 3rd or subsequent sheet, it will use the sheet 2 format.

There are methods that can automate some of this once the formats and templates are created.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

If I am not mistaken, if your format file has 2 sheets, the 1 sheet is always the 1 sheet, and the second sheet is a "continuation sheet" meaning all subsequent sheets will take on the format's sheet 2 appearance.

This is correct.  A format is not allowed to have more than 2 sheets.  I believe a template (drawing) can have as many as you want.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

I just tested a template with 5 sheets pre-defined, each sheet with a different format.  It worked fine. 

lheiden
1-Newbie

Did you start a new format or edit a format already in use.

lheiden
1-Newbie

correct, I do that as well. I want to add a 3rd sheet to my format that has the D sized drawing split into 4 quadrants

Then I was going to try and make each of the quad's drive a table that is driven by the object in the quad. So I don't have to keep going to the tree and setting the active model.

Maybe I used Autocad too may years, lol

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Formats are limited to 2 sheets: First sheet with full title block and continuation sheets.

Drawing Templates can be created with multiple sheets with your quadrant markings.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I don't think you're going to get what you want.  Templates are only useful when the drawing is first being created.  Sure, you could pre-build a template with three sheets and the third sheet could be divided up the way you want, but there is no way to automatically add multiple models to the drawing and then have the template views map to each of these.  Companies who do large, multi-sheet, multi-model drawings achieve this through automation.  A 3rd party program creates the sheet, adds the models, creates the view, and adds any other items (tables, notes, etc.)

Yes, you could certainly create a single format that is divided up, but you will manually have to change the format in the drawing every time you add sheet 3 (or more.)

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Who does 3rd party programs for this?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

Sigmaxim (SmartAssembly) and Fishbowl for sure.  I imagine there are many others...

Top Tags