Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

table driven holes

Highlighted

table driven holes

Does anyone know where in the help files, or anywhere for that matter, that defines how to create a table for multiple holes in a plate rather than dimension each hole or pattern of holes?
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

RE: table driven holes

Brian, The way to do this is with a pattern - even though you're looking for a non-patterned method of creation. You put the first hole in, pattern one instance and then redefine the pattern to a table-driven one. Then you can edit the values and add instances using Pro/TABLE. Regards
Highlighted

RE: table driven holes

Thanks Peter. That will save a lot of effort and time.
Highlighted

Re: table driven holes

hi

in drawing mode, tools-hole table, you get a table with all (x,y) of the holes to a reference point.

it is what you are looking for?

Highlighted

For most "real" designs, symmetrical hole patterns are undesirable. The reason for this is to ensure that the device in question can only be assembled in the desired, and consistent, orientation every time... eliminating the opportunity for misinstallation, and reducing variability (ie, if the thinnest wall of a plumbing structure is always in the same position relative to flow, the likelihood of seeing the same failure repeated is much greater)

Generally speaking, for circular patterns, you'll have small angular differences through the pattern. In the case of rectangular patterns, you'll have some of the holes slightly offset.

As a rule, I almost always use table-driven patterns as a result. Now, prior to WF5, you did not have the ability to edit these pattern tables using Excel. So, you'd either have to enter the entire table by hand (easy enough with smaller patterns, but if you're doing anything with a large number of holes, this is VERY painful (think PCB work, for an example of where this would be a problem).

Fortunately, there's a work-around. You simply create your first hole in the pattern, set it up as the beginning of a pattern table, "edit" the table and save it in some fashion with some recognizable name (this last bit is just there so you don't have to manually create the pattern table header).

You can create the entire pattern in Excel, and copy the whole thing (minus the first hole, which you've already created and is recorded in the pattern table file). You paste this (as simple text) into the pattern table, below the first-entry line.

Then, you go back into Pro/E (which you'll ideally have left open, and even left the "table-drive pattern" creation open). You use the "edit" table feature, and "read" the file you've modified. And voila, you get a complete pattern table for, potentially, thousands of entries.

For my own work, I usually simply choose the coordinates and diameter as the hole characteristics I pattern (x, y, hole dia, or radius, angle, hole dia).

Now, with WF5, for the first time, we've been given the ability to directly edit pattern tables using Excel. This is a HUGE time-and-hassle-saver. But it's not too bad even in WF2/3/4/earlier, if you're willing to jump through a few minor hoops.

Highlighted

Hi Cary Brown,

I have a question for you related to Hole table. I trust you must know the answer.

Is ther any way to show Hole table dimensions with secondary values like Inches[mm]? You know that all the X and Y values are coming as a dummy text in the Hole table. Please suggest me...

Thanks,

Babu

Highlighted

You may find the newer "point" pattern useful for your application.

Highlighted

I agree that the point pattern might suit your needs. It's much more intuitive than the hole table. Also constraints can be used to keep points (the basis for the holes or other features) can be horizontal, or vertical. This is my preferred pattern type. Once in place I'll use a reference pattern based off of it for future features.

Highlighted

Mohamed's question is regarding dual dimensions in the tables. In recent discussions, I think we came to the conclusion that dual dimensions are not translated to any kind of table even if they are associated driving dimensions.

Announcements