cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

transfer Creo orthographic drawing into Word document

ptc-5507475
1-Newbie

transfer Creo orthographic drawing into Word document

hi,

need your help on how to transfer orthographic drawing from creo parametric 2.0 to word document?

what i did was just taking screen shot of it and paste in on word document. if there any possible method to transfer the drawing please let me know.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

Welcome to the forum, Burhan.

Every time we discuss printing I learn something new.

I recommend the generic color postscript setting in the print dialog.

A few caveats: 1; this will plot lines in the color of the screen. if you don't want this, you need a pen table. 2; If you scale the output, it will not scale the pen line weights. 3; You have to change the default .plt extension to .eps.

There is a lot to setting up a reliable pen table. However, to simplify matters, you can save one in your working folder and this will be used in the output.

You can also save the print setup file (.pcf) but I have no idea on how to call it back up.

Generically, if you want your plots black and white, and have shaded images be color, this pen table will make sure that this happens:

pen 1 thickness .020 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 2 thickness .008 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 3 thickness .012 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 4 thickness .100 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 5 thickness .200 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 6 thickness .300 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 7 thickness .400 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

pen 8 thickness .500 in; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

Copy the above into a file named "table.pnt" and it can be used by any of the plot routines. You can custom name these for the print dialog, but not for the export dialog. (advanced configuration knowledge required).

What this file does is to make sure that the primary 3 pens used in Creo drawings are set to a reasonable convention. The thicker lines are there to flag any entities that are on a different pen layer for some reason. Adjust these as necessary.

Also, the output by default is normally the screen colors. This is often not preferred for drawings so the pen color entry makes sure that all line are black. This does not affect the shaded image views other than the edge colors.

If you want your shaded views to be grayscale, just select the EPS for Laser printer and continue as above.

Most people are perfectly happy to export to PDF for archives. However, as you noticed, MicroSoft and Adobe are still not fully partnered.

Even though EPS is an adobe format, Word does not, by default, recognize .PDF as an import file format without owning the full version of Acrobat.

I know this is a lot of words and the topic of printing can make your head spin. I did give this some thought to get you the best possible output with known limitations.

Here is an example of a C-size drawing imported into word using this technique:

EPS_output_to_MS-Word.PNG

This is the screen in Creo:

EPS_input_from_Creo_dialog.PNG

I am sure you will have more questions and there are many here that have developed this to an extensive level.

Once you have considered this, please feel free to ask more question regarding specifics of your requirements.

Thank you so much. really appreciate your suggestion.

Your best bet is to find an intermediate tool, like GhostView, to convert something PTC can output into something Word can input. This will preserve the vector graphics detail in the drawing.

I've attached an example using a Postscript file converted to an EMF file and a PDF converted to an EMF.

The first was done with GhostView, and the second was done with Inkscape.

Inkscape did a better job preserving the line widths and line colors, well, shades of gray.

If you use this on drawings, you can ungroup the picture which will convert it to Word's internal format, and then delete or alter parts of the drawing as desired. I found it handy to color everything pale gray except what I was working on as a way to emphasize an area of interest.

Note - Word used to be limited to C-size images due to wrap-around from limited precision. If you try to import something bigger than that it will be - different. When creating the original PS or PDF make sure the output is to a C-size or smaller format page, even if the actual drawing is larger.

If you care to upload a sample drawing to avoid having to get Ghostscript or Inkscape installed, I'd be happy to convert one and work any bugs that might show up.

It used to be that one could import HPGL files into Word. It worked perfectly. Then MS decided not to support the HPGL filter.

All that remains are CGM, WMF, and EMF.

CGM is of dubious use - there are some interactions with patches that makes this a poor target.

Hi,

one year ago I played with CGM (i.e. vector) format. I tested export of drawing in Creo Parametric 2.0 into CGM file and import of this file into Word 2003/2010 with success. I did not test drawing containing shaded view.

The only problem was on Microsoft side. If system registry did not contain correct version of CGMIMP32.FLT filter, then import of CGM into Word documen did not work.

I can publish more information, if you want.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I think Microsoft dropped support for CGM and HPGL filters; one, because they were licensed from a third party, and two, because there was some ActiveX exploit associated with them. If you have a copy of the CGM filter you can re-enable it using a registry change to allow them. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2479871 I don't see the HPGL filter mentioned in the registry change, but it was broken by a security update in 2010.

CGM is an interesting format, really series of formats, all incompatible. It covers both vector and raster images. ref http://www.fileformat.info/format/cgm/egff.htm It seems like it was last updated as a standard in 1992.

Hello and welcome Burhan - checking in to see if these suggestions were helpful and if you are up and running?

Thank you,

Toby

All the suggestions are helpful and I am very appreciate them.

Hi Burhan,

From within Word, try Insert → Object → PTC Drawing Document then find & select the .drw file and it should insert it into the drawing. I've not used this very much, so I don't know how well it works, but I often do a similar thing with AutoCAD drawings and it works quite well.

I'm not sure if this is OOTB functionality or if it needs to be set up manually before it can be used, but give it a try anyway.

David

Top Tags