cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

updating a drawing doesn't ask to check out

Vermont_95
12-Amethyst

updating a drawing doesn't ask to check out

gooe afternoon

we are working in Creo Parametric 4 with Winchill

when I change a 3d part Creo ask me to continue or to checkout --> perfect

when I finish my modifiations an open the drawing, I click right  on sheet1 /update , the drawing views will be updated but Creo doesn't ask to continue or to checkout the drawing.

is there a config setting to automaticaly ask to continue or check out the 2d when updating views from a 3d modifications?

thanks

regards

Veronique

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Vermont_95)

There is no option to force that dialog for a "update views" command since the software doesn't see that as a drawing change (we all know the drawing is changing but to the software, that is a model change). If you move a dimension or edit text, that is a drawing change and I assume you are getting the continue/check-out dialog box, correct?

In the past I used the workflow your users are using. I changed my workflow for several reasons. My current workflow is that before I work on a model or a drawing, I deliberately go and check out the models/drawings I am expecting to change. That puts me in control of what gets checked-out compared to letting the software tell me something is changing and asking me if I want to check out the model/drawings. If I get the pop-up dialog, that tells me that something is changing that I didn't expect to change and I need to research that to verify I am intending to modify that object. 

It is my opinion that waiting for the software to tell me I am changing something is going to make the users complacent about the message and they will simply "check-out" everything when the dialog box comes up, which will in turn create "changes" to models that were not necessarily intended or desired.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

It will tell you that the drawing has not been checked out when you go to check it in. You must then do the drawing check out.

Is the drawing already checked out?

the problem is that he does NOT ask to check out, so at the end of the day If I look in my workspace Idon't see the drawing as checked out so I don't know that I have to check it in.

my users are working sometime in the day on 10/15 references plus drawings. they switch between 3d 2d assy's .  They don't remenber what still need to be checked in, so at the end of the day they look in their workspace and checkin what is checkout.

if I just click right and select update , because creo doesn't ask to check out or continue the drawing is only modified in my session. when they save it it become modify locally

what we want is Creo asking to check out the drawing also when you do an update of all views

StephenW
23-Emerald II

There is no option to force that dialog for a "update views" command since the software doesn't see that as a drawing change (we all know the drawing is changing but to the software, that is a model change). If you move a dimension or edit text, that is a drawing change and I assume you are getting the continue/check-out dialog box, correct?

In the past I used the workflow your users are using. I changed my workflow for several reasons. My current workflow is that before I work on a model or a drawing, I deliberately go and check out the models/drawings I am expecting to change. That puts me in control of what gets checked-out compared to letting the software tell me something is changing and asking me if I want to check out the model/drawings. If I get the pop-up dialog, that tells me that something is changing that I didn't expect to change and I need to research that to verify I am intending to modify that object. 

It is my opinion that waiting for the software to tell me I am changing something is going to make the users complacent about the message and they will simply "check-out" everything when the dialog box comes up, which will in turn create "changes" to models that were not necessarily intended or desired.

You are right! This is the best way to work (first check out what you whant to modify then open it and make the modifications)

they are told to do that but....   🙂

Anyway , I found also a bit anoying that we all know the drawing is changing but the softwre see that as model change.

thanks a lot for your answers

regards

Veronique

Top Tags