cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Embedding Creo View File in Powerpoint Work Instruction

kwebster
1-Newbie

Embedding Creo View File in Powerpoint Work Instruction

The use of the Creo View API to create an interactive 3D Product View instance within Powerpoint has caused problems with management of computer resources. Each new figure that is loaded on a new slide in PPT adds another process to the CPU, On average this amounts to 250 MB of memory utilized per slide containing an instance of Product View, which quickly becomes unsustainable (as shown in the attached image). We are looking to find a way to decrease the amount of memory used, particularly by not requiring a new instance of Product View for each step in the Work Instruction. A method that we have looked into is the ability to embed the .pvz model in the powerpoint file (similar to how multiple figures can be opened in a single instance of Creo View), but were informed that this is not a current capability of the Creo View Office Toolkit.

Work has been done to only allow a certain number of Product View instances, and terminating all other Product View processes in a first in first out style queue. However, this prevents those slides on which the product view window was terminated from being reopened.

1 REPLY 1

This will depend on what version of PowerPoint you are using, but if it is more recent versions where the extension is PPTX then you could try this (I have not attempted this so I give no guarantee this will work). I have used this to extract all images from a PowerPoint file and upload into Integrity Process Director.

> Change the extension of the PPTX file to .ZIP

> Open the PowerPoint file as a compressed file

> Imbed the ProductView content into the compressed file

> Change the extension back to .PPTX

> Open in PowerPoint

Let the rest of the community know what you find out. If anything at least you learned something about PowerPoint.

Jon

Top Tags