cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Knowledge Base Articles - Light on Useful Information

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Knowledge Base Articles - Light on Useful Information

It seems like there are many knowledge base articles that contain insufficient information to really be useful.  Here is an one example I came across today:  CS242245

When I see something like this I start to ask questions like... "Works to product specification."  Really???  So Creo is intentionally not regenerating merge features?  Why?  Who actually writes that in the specification?  Is this behavior documented somewhere?  (Peter Case - This might be a good use case for "Related Documents" section to link to some relevant product documentation.)

Here is what I posted to the feedback widget:

• It would be helpful to understand WHY this "works to product specification".
  • Are you saying that anytime a merge feature fails to regenerate, it is intentional and a good thing?
  • Under what conditions WILL it regenerate the merge feature and under what conditions will it NOT?

Anything you can do to provide better explanations of how things work, why they work that way, and possible workarounds to get around the current limitations will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
PeterCase
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

The work instructions our engineers follow when authoring articles recognise that a straight "Works to Spec" as a resolution is rarely, if ever, sufficient. 

We ask them, where possible, to make clear what the limitations are, include links to documentation to help with understanding, and to state any reasons as to why the functionality has been implemented as is (e.g. compatibility with ..., style guidelines etc). Where they exist, we also ask them to provide alternate techniques to achieve the desired result.

The article you've highlighted falls short of our expectations, and submitting article feedback to let the author(s) know will trigger the right actions to get this addressed.

This said, it will be a worthwhile exercise to review all our "Works to Spec" articles which have been viewed online more than a handful of times. Following Doug Schaefer's post on prematurely published content, our KDEs have already started a review of our Creo SPR-related articles with short resolutions (<30 words), and it will be a small step to extend that review to works to spec, before deciding on which corrective / preventative actions to take.

Mike Smith, Mark Fahlbeck, Gunter Koch - adding a mention for your awareness.

Once again, thanks Tom for sharing about your experience, and helping us to improve.

I think that this article could be a good start point to address issue about "works to spec",

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS60028

Tom, what do you think about it?

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Marco_Tosin)

I don't know when you last looked at it, but I think it actually looks pretty good at the moment.  It tells you why the import failed and what to change to get around the problem.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Yes.

I just want only another user to confirm to Peter that this article is written in the way to address the boring Works to spec.

Marco
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I agree, this is a helpful way to say "this is how it's supposed to work". It supplies instructions and links to supporting documentation.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:PeterCase)

This said, it will be a worthwhile exercise to review all our "Works to Spec" articles which have been viewed online more than a handful of times.

Sounds like a good idea.  I can't tell how many times an article has been viewed, but I suspect someone is going to be very busy. 

Years ago we used to complain because the techs would say "intended functionality".  Communication between PTC and the user base wasn't great then and PTC's response to the problem was not to improve the documentation but to stop using that phrase, hence we now have "works to spec".

I'm very pleased to see a more thoughtful and cooperative approach to the problem now.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:PeterCase)

Here are a few to get you started.  Some of these have the "why", but not workaround.  Others are just the opposite.

CS149369

CS127515

CS109881

CS188516

CS200797

CS219516

CS211462

CS200933

CS210782

CS195181

CS192141

CS194179