cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Removing Old Servers

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Removing Old Servers

Does anyone know of a way to remove or hide old systems (GUIDs) from the dashboard?  I've spun up a bunch of different test systems and also created some duplicates (with different GUIDs) using the GUID generator tool after rehosting.  I would like to know how to remove or hide the systems that are no longer needed.

16 REPLIES 16
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

I have same question.

At the moment I'm waiting to see if after 90 days old servers will disappear automatically.

Another strange thing is about transmitted data gadget where it counts two data for every day.

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Another strange thing is about transmitted data gadget where it counts two data for every day.

I think this is because two separate files are transmitted to PTC each day.  One is a zip file and the other is a properties file describing the zip file and your SCN.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

I'm with you about the two zip files.

But I'm wondering why it counts two.

I think that if PTC it expect two files to sign data transmitted successfully should be count 1 and if there aren't two files should be 1 fail transmitted data.

Marco

Hi Marco, hi Tom,

The Transmitted data increment correlates directly to the individual report statuses in the WA-ExecutionStatus.xml inside the zip. Do keep in mind that what gets sent and when depends on what has been configured in the Performance Advisor configuration page in Windchill. However, anytime 1 or more reports are sent, the system information report is always sent as well.

Dan,

I have just opened a case about transmitted data

https://support.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/auth/ssl/case=13182033

This is the description of issue:

Last weekend we installed, on our 10.2 M030 production server, CPS16 (case was opened selecting CPS15 because 16 and 17 are not in the list).

In our dashboard I can see this change in Connected Windchill Servers gadget, so at least one time our data was sent correctly after new CPS apply, but since Monday 11th until Thursday 14th, no new data appear in my dashboard.

Production server was stuck at 72

Test server at 112

Dev server at 120

Today numbers of data changed this way:

Prod has 71 success and 1 fail

Test has 94 success and 1 fail

Prod has 99 success and 1 fail

Tom,

Have you seen something similar?

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Tom,

Have you seen something similar?

Marco‌, I haven't been watching it close enough to know.  I just took a quick look and something doesn't seem right.  All of my servers are configured to send every day but nothing has been updated in the last 5 days.  I do have a case open about the properties file not being generated correctly.  I wonder if this is related...

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I just checked again.  While the successful (and fail) numbers are going up for the currently running systems, the numbers for the inactive systems are actually dropping!  There seems to be some inverse relationship between "Last Updated" and the "Success" and "Fail" totals.  It's like with time certain events are being dropped.  By the way, the two systems showing this behavior haven't updated in 76 days and 86 days.  The other system that hasn't been updated in 51 days is not dropping numbers (yet).

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

I haven't inactive servers, but TS yesterday told me that starting from July 10th, the noticed that the report about JMX data failed every send.

They asked me to put BGMS in debug mode and to send them BGMS log.

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Last update from TS was this:

Hi Marco,

We were able to reproduce this issue after updating Windchill to a later CPS.

The fix was to re-install the Windchill Performance Advisor patch (after the CPS).

Please let me know if this helps.

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Good grief, I hope not.  I already have to reapply the ThingWorx patch after every CPS installation.  It really lengthens the time required to install the CPS each month.  In my opinion, installing the monthly critical patch sets should not break other previously released and installed patches.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

I agree with you Tom.

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Hi Tom,

below some fresh news arrived today from TS about removing old servers.

Hi Marco,

As per R&D (11th of October) the implementation is done. They are just waiting for QA’s sign-off.

I will ask for a fresh update and keep you posted.

Best regards

Michael

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Thanks Marco Tosin‌.  I too heard something similar.  Sound like tech support will now be able to manually remove unwanted GUIDs.  No idea if they will extend this out to the end users or not.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Another update from TS.

Hi Marco,

R&D is currently looking into the "update of GUIDs" issue.

A first attempt to fix it had to be rolled back.

Other customers are also requesting the same feature.

We will get some update soon hopefully.

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

This is the last update I received Monday from TS:

Hi Marco,

R&D just confirmed that the only way of removing obsolete GUIDs is to give us the numbers so we can hide them on the server side.

There is currently no UI allowing customers to do so.

Please let me know the GUIDs which should be hidden for you so I can communicate them to R&D if you want us to hide them.

Thank you and best regards

Michael

Since last week I also saw a new section (Proactive Support) on the daily mail sent by TS.

Can someone of this group owners ( Dan Nowitz, Matt Chant, Walid Saad, Steve Shaw) give more lights on how it is intended to works this feature?

I think that proactive information sent daily via TS mail should be only for server marked as production.

I don't want to receive, every day, a remind on server I have dismissed, but on this I would like to hear what other users think about it.

Case.PNG

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yes, I had several servers hidden by tech support.  It took a couple of months, but the end result was as intended.  It is too bad this can't be handled directly by the end users.

I agree on the recommendations.  I can see sending them out once, but every day seems a little excessive, especially if there haven't been any changes.

Top Tags