cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill header: show dynamic message

rvecchiato
13-Aquamarine

Windchill header: show dynamic message

Hi everybody,

I am here suggesting to create a preference at site level, where the administrator can type a messsage to show on the header, near the logo.

This would be mainly used to advise users about maintenance (Example: "Server will be shutdown from 9pm-11pm") or other short messages.

Regards,

Riccardo

7 REPLIES 7

‌Does editing the existing banner.txt feature work for you? Seem pretty close to what you're asking for: http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc110_hc/index.jspx?id=WCCG_UICust_GenericUICust_SysBannerAlert&action=show

rvecchiato
13-Aquamarine
(To:rvecchiato)

Hi Hansen,

not completly because in that case we need to restart the server and this is exactly what I do not want to do: I need first to show the message, and later restart the server (usually the day after).

I can send an e-mail to all the recipients but they should still keep in mind at what time the server will be restarted.

Riccardo Vecchiato wrote:

Hi Hansen,

not completly because in that case we need to restart the server and this is exactly what I do not want to do: I need first to show the message, and later restart the server (usually the day after).

I can send an e-mail to all the recipients but they should still keep in mind at what time the server will be restarted.

Actually you don't need to restart it again once you have made the changes in this article:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS77184

rvecchiato
13-Aquamarine

Do you mean that the file is not cached and if I modify the text it is automatically retrieved and shown?

As far as I understand following that method I can show a custom message, but my need is to show a different message without restarting the server, for example:

Customize the banner without any message (OK, based on your suggestion)

Restart the server (obviously, otherwise the new file is not read)

Write a new message in the customized file (OK, based on your suggestion)

See the new message in the Windchill header without any restart (I am not sure your suggestion will work)

‌Yes, as far as I can remember `banner.txt` is not cached. Try it and see!

Otherwise the link to the CS given by Randy Jones‌ above has a more complete description that also handles different browser locales. I think we are using that as well.

Riccardo Vecchiato wrote:

Do you mean that the file is not cached and if I modify the text it is automatically retrieved and shown?

Yep. Now if the user is setting on a Windchill page, when you change banner.txt, then they will need to reload (using the browser Reload current page) the Windchill web page in order to see the changed message in their browser.

rvecchiato
13-Aquamarine

Thank you very much! It's working as expected and it is not cached! 🙂

Top Tags