cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

inconsistent instructions in DTI?

afabre
5-Regular Member

inconsistent instructions in DTI?

Hi everyone concerned with how Windchill (mis)treats documents!

Please read this Product Idea and upvote if you agree:

Change (correct) behavoir of the Update command in DTI Office add-in

7 REPLIES 7
smorris
5-Regular Member
(To:afabre)

Hi I looked at this idea but it looks like a problem with the tooltip and not with the functionality. The tool tip should be updated to say iteration.

afabre
5-Regular Member
(To:smorris)

I agree, but PTC Support does not:
Case Details 13555821

Reason for Closure: Working as designed

Sometimes I get the feeling that PTC Development likes to over-complicate things and PTC Support:s main focus is to close Calls, but maybe that's just me?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Maybe you should re-open and escalate.

smorris
5-Regular Member

Vikram Sinha‌ can you ping support on this case? I'm not sure why they would not submit an SPR to have the tooltip updated to iteration vs. version. This is a simple change that would avoid a lot of confusion for customers.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:smorris)

Scott Morris, It seems like it would be more consistent with the rest of Windchill to have it work like the tooltip.  Update in Windchill for CAD documents means latest version, not latest iteration.  Keep the tool tip the way it is and change the behavior instead.

smorris
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

Tom Uminn, you are absolutely correct. CAD Data Management is governed by the Workspace's Config Spec which defaults to Latest Iteration of Latest Version. Windchill Desktop Integration does not use the same workspace mechanism and is not governed by a Config Spec. Therefore, the only update action it understands is pulling the latest iteration of the current version. So, Alexander Fabre‌ idea is a valid one, it could just use a little refinement to ask for the right enhancement.

While updating the current document to the latest Version would be nice, there needs to be some user interaction or preference to guide whether or not the user receives the latest Iteration or the latest Version. It would not be fair to take away the Iteration update and simply replace it with Version update. Windchill DTI should support both options and this is how the idea should be stated vs. the mistreatment of documents.

To clear the confusion, I have asked PTC to submit a bug to update the tool tip, which does not align with the Help Center documentation. The Help Center does accurately describe this action as an Iteration update, not a Version update.

On a different note, I am not sure how my original reply became the default correct answer since I don't have those wizard powers anymore

Hi Scott,

I agree with you, When hitting the button, user should be prompted to decide for an update of the latest iteration or the latest version, or have a pick list to decide which one he wants to update from, with the possibility to set this by default.

PS:  Glad to see you here and still as active in sharing your knowledge of the product even if you are not a PTC guy anymore

Top Tags